Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My new toy - Simplicity 4040

freelancenoob

Recently I acquired an ac 620. Guy that had it was a really good friend but passed and his daughter gave it to me. Glad to have it but not the way I wanted to receive it. Anyway I got it home. Was at first getting no spark. Narrowed it down to being the coil. Replaced that and now it fires up. It's not the original onan engine but was replaced with a 16hp opposed twin briggs. Other issues I ran into were wiring and fuel issues. Wiring was a nightmare. Wires spliced here and there and red wires used as grounds, etc. It was a mess. So I ripped out all the wiring and started from scratch. I put wireloom around all the wiring so I didn't have to worry as much about catching them on belts or the shaft. Very clean install now. 2 our of the 3 toggles on the dash did not work. Replaced all the toggles and starter button. Also had to replace the starter solenoid. Now it is good to go. Except lights but i'll worry about them once I get the rest of the bugs worked out of it. Now for the fuel issue. The guy took the vac fuel pump off the carb and replaced it with a block off plate with a fuel line fitting on it. He then hooked up an ac delco automotive fuel pump. Why Why Why? Anyway it was supplying too much pressure and causing the carb to flood and die. So I went to the local shop and picked up a rebuild kit for the carb and the correct vac pump. Everything is all hooked up but still not getting fuel with the new pump. I'll diagnose that another day when I have time. So for being free and a little bit of work I made out on the deal. Only thing I wished this machine had was a rear PTO. Below are some photos of what it looked like when I got it. I will also post a video of my buddy testing it out after we got it running. But that was with the electric fuel pump at the time.
[img]http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w339/wckdkl0wn/2011-12-03_13-02-51_23.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w339/wckdkl0wn/2011-12-03_13-03-04_522.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w339/wckdkl0wn/2011-12-03_13-03-17_155.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w339/wckdkl0wn/2011-12-03_13-03-33_111.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w339/wckdkl0wn/2011-12-03_13-04-10_474.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w339/wckdkl0wn/2011-12-03_13-04-42_279.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w339/wckdkl0wn/2011-12-03_13-06-29_875.jpg[/img]
Video http://youtu.be/7ly5XH29gY4

haha yea I was wondering what I got myself into after I picked it up. The guy always did what he had to do to keep things going. I don't plan on restoring it, just turning it into a work horse. So if it works i'm fine with that. :D

Welcome aboard Freelancenoob! I remember seeing this over on MTF. Why does it have the alternator on it? The Briggs should have a 5, 10 or 15 amp alternator under the flywheel. I don't think they had a push-button start switch from new, should have been a regular ignition switch.

Looks to me like it just might be a Simplicity 4040 with AC 620 decals on it. Too bad he chopped the hood up so much. It has potential, so don't give up on it. I would recommend using an electric fuel pump, Mr. Gasket 42S available at O'Reilly's auto parts stores. I have a 4040 with a 23HP Kohler K582 in it. My engine is mounted high like yours. Here is what I brought home:

Here is what I ended up with:

Have fun with your project. John U

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Welcome aboard Freelancenoob! I remember seeing this over on MTF. Why does it have the alternator on it? The Briggs should have a 5, 10 or 15 amp alternator under the flywheel. I don't think they had a push-button start switch from new, should have been a regular ignition switch.
Yup that's where I came from. Someone mentioned this site in one of my threads so I checked it out. The alt that is built in is unhooked. Well its still there but the connector on the end is unplugged. So to be honest I don't know why. At this point I don't think I would even want to speculate either lol.
quote:
Originally posted by midnightpumpkin
Looks to me like it just might be a Simplicity 4040 with AC 620 decals on it. Too bad he chopped the hood up so much. It has potential, so don't give up on it. I would recommend using an electric fuel pump, Mr. Gasket 42S available at O'Reilly's auto parts stores. I have a 4040 with a 23HP Kohler K582 in it. My engine is mounted high like yours. Here is what I brought home:
[img]/club2/attach/midnightpumpkin/UB1.jpg[/img]
Here is what I ended up with:
[img]/club2/attach/midnightpumpkin/UB2.jpg[/img]
Have fun with your project. John U
Man that is one nice looking machine you have there. I would love to have a loader setup like that. If you don't mind me asking, did you build it or buy it? If so how much did it run you. Any info on it you could give me to help me in a search for one? How would I be able to tell exactly what model this is? Someone on another forum said pretty much the same thing that it wasn't a 620 but had a 620 hood on it.

The shape of the dash is different on the Allis versions of these tractors, the hood is definetely from a Simplicity 4040. The rear fenders also point to it being a 4040, I believe that style of rear fender was only used on the 4040. There should be a tag on the frame on the side with the brake pedals with a manufacturer number on it. If that tag is missing, it becomes very difficult to say for sure what model it is. I found the loader on craigs list, it is an ARK600. John U

The 620 I have is 5 bolt front wheels. Might check for a model # data plate although looking at the pics one is not readily apparent. Mine is on the right frame just ahead of the trans filter. Is the hydro oil cooler still on the tractor? Can see the lines in the shot of the fuel system but don't see the cooler itself.

You have a 4040 with a 616 hood and 620 decals. You have a good start at a great project and learning curve to get your feet wet with this tractor. Fenders were used on various models. They started with the round fenders like you have and later switched to flat top fenders. The thing is they went back and forth with no rhyme or reason for awhile. No matter what, it's still fun to work with and learn on.

quote:
The shape of the dash is different on the Allis versions of these tractors, the hood is definetely from a Simplicity 4040. The rear fenders also point to it being a 4040, I believe that style of rear fender was only used on the 4040. There should be a tag on the frame on the side with the brake pedals with a manufacturer number on it. If that tag is missing, it becomes very difficult to say for sure what model it is. I found the loader on craigs list, it is an ARK600. John U
I'll take a look for that tag when I get home in the morning. Did the 4040 have a rear pto? Thanks for the info on the loader. I'll keep my eyes open for one.
quote:
Originally posted by AcFordHawk
The 620 I have is 5 bolt front wheels. Might check for a model # data plate although looking at the pics one is not readily apparent. Mine is on the right frame just ahead of the trans filter. Is the hydro oil cooler still on the tractor? Can see the lines in the shot of the fuel system but don't see the cooler itself.
I don't remember seeing an id plate but i'll look when i get home. I was wondering why that line was looped back into another line as a bypass. I'm assuming there was a cooler there judging from pictures of the 4040 I pulled up online.
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
You have a 4040 with a 616 hood and 620 decals. You have a good start at a great project and learning curve to get your feet wet with this tractor. Fenders were used on various models. They started with the round fenders like you have and later switched to flat top fenders. The thing is they went back and forth with no rhyme or reason for awhile. No matter what, it's still fun to work with and learn on.
I think the thing I like most about this tractor vs my homelite is the size. It's easier to work on something big like this vs smaller. (I have a homelite t-12) Why someone miss match so many parts is beyond me. Makes it difficult later for a new owner to identify it. lol As for the drag link, thanks for pointing that out. Didn't even notice. I have a bit to learn about this machine and I feel this site will be the best bet for learning. Thanks everyone for all the great info.

If you watch ebay a lot of these "powermaxes" get parted out. You shouldn't have much trouble finding good used parts.

Awsome machine...I love a challange & that tractor is all potentialdOd I cant wait to find one some day Good Luck sm01

Ok the sticker on the right hand side next to the filter is as follows. Manufactured washington, Wis, USA 705 001 803 Now that number could also be 705 001 303 The 7th number is a bit worn so it could either be a 3 or an 8. Its not a plate but rather a sticker. I did a search on google and came up with nothing. Are any of you able to look it up another way?

Kevin, Now go to the club home page and put 990705 in the box at the top right of the page to download your manuals, if you don't already have them. John U

quote:
Kevin, Now go to the club home page and put 990705 in the box at the top right of the page to download your manuals, if you don't already have them. John U
Already had the manuals for the 4040. Printed them out and have a hard copy. Someone on another forum told me to download them when I thought it was a ac620 because it was basically the same thing.
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
There is one parted out on ebay now.
I was looking on ebay at the oil cooler, mule drive, and a tank. Probably the same ones you seen.

I looked at your pics a little closer and see some orriginal paint under the decals where the decals were taped off. This got me to thinking so I went and pulled out a 616 hood I had on the shelf, it has the air chamber inside the hood. So just to clarify the hood you have is for a 4040 and likely orriginal to the tractor.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
I looked at your pics a little closer and see some orriginal paint under the decals where the decals were taped off. This got me to thinking so I went and pulled out a 616 hood I had on the shelf, it has the air chamber inside the hood. So just to clarify the hood you have is for a 4040 and likely orriginal to the tractor.
So the whole thing is a 4040 just someone changed the decals.

That's what it looks like. The bad thing is that with the age of these tractors it's hard to know what all someone has changed or modified. But with the change also comes the thrill of discovering what all makes your tractor special. It's also very satisfying when you can combine someone else's modifications with your own to recreate a working tractor.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a little update. I installed a Mr. Gasket fuel pump. Still putting too much fuel to the carb and flooding it out. So today on my way into work I picked up a shutoff valve for it. Figured I could turn the valve back about half way to restrict fuel to the carb. I'll put it between the pump and carb. I'll update tomorrow once it is done.