Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

23D Starter pulley removal

Allisgrandson

I just picked up a B&S 23D that has been sitting for a long time. I hooked it up to a battery and cranked it over, and watched pumpkin seeds come flying out of the exhaust. I then tried to remove the exhaust pipe (no muffler) and I was using a torch to heat up the rust. I then lit another mouse nest on fire that is under the metal cover. I then decided to remove the metal cover and realized that I have to remove the pulley that is mounted on the crankshaft that the starter turns. I have removed everything and I am down to the pulley itself. How is the pulley removed from the crankshaft? Thanks, Brian

The pulley or boost fan is cast aluminum and corrodes itself to the shaft so to speak. I assume that you have the screen removed and the two bolts holding the fan in place. Also polish as much as the shaft tip as you can. If that is all done, you can free up fan by applying a bit heat from a handheld propane torch causing the fan bore to swell enough to loosen itself free of the shaft. It doesn't take a lot. By holding the pulley groove (coolest part, you can then rotate the fan back and forth and gently slide it off. If you haven't got past the four Phillips head screws holding the screen in place, heat will loosen up the screws and here you might need a little more heat to almost get the screws to glow.

quote:
Originally posted by Allisgrandson
I then tried to remove the exhaust pipe (no muffler) and I was using a torch to heat up the rust. I then lit another mouse nest on fire that is under the metal cover.
You can get the exhaust pipe off by using a hacksaw blade and cut four good (almost the thickness)inside grooves on the length of the remaining piece of pipe as I have indicated here http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/BLT/muffler%20III.JPG . After that, a small pipe wrench or channel lock pliers should collapse the pipe to where you can screw it out.

Bob, Thanks for the info. You the fan and the pulley are 1 piece? They look like to separate pieces. I was heating the pulley, but decided I better ask around before I broke it. It just slides on? Does it use a key to keep from free spinning? I'll try to get pics, but the wife is home and she's not a fan of my spending time with the tractors. ;) I'll give the hacksaw method a try on the exhaust pipe. Do you think I need to pull the head to make sure everything is out of the cylinder or was it all blown out by turning the engin over already? This is my first attempt at engine mechanics, so I have a large hole in my knowledge on this stuff

If your engine is from a Simplicity, here is an OM showing the stack up in the parts section. The only key on that end of the shaft is for the flywheel. And for exhaust pipe, before sawing, turn engine until you feel compression, then stop and both valves will be closed and you can clean it with some air or a pencil magnet. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8cuH4rE3CG.5kbp796Dq

Thanks for the help Bob. I got it off, but it took awhile and a lot of hammering. It has probably been on there since new. I got it off and cleaned up, ready to apply fuel now. Brian