Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ac712

Shuttle Question

ac712
I have an AC 712S. I have the shuttle all adjusted up as per the manual just replaced old belt and changed oil in rear end and BGB. I'm getting a good bit of noise when I'm in reverse, is this normal or a common problem? How would one go about fixing this sort of thing?

HubbardRA
Usually a noisy reverse is indicative of wear in the bearings inside the planetary. Usually it is where the gears turn on the shafts. You will need to pull the planetary off and check the condition of the gears and shafts inside it.

ac712
Ok, and I'm guessing that will require taking off the right rear wheel? I know the manual says you should take that cap off and force grease in there from time to time. Thank you for help, this site is just incredible!! Learn something new every time I log on.

midnightpumpkin
Don't just take the cap off and try to force grease in. Take the cap off and remove the nut you will see. The whole planetary will slip off. Soak it in kerosene to remove the old grease, then check it for excessive wear. Regrease by packing in No 2 white lithium grease. Pack the planetary like you would a wheel bearing, then re-install the planetary. Some noise from the planetary is normal when in reverse. John U

ac712
Okay great, Thank you guys I feel a little better about tackling this project. I did notice when I was putting my tire chains on that the planetary pulley had a little bit of play in it. So hoping this is NOT the sign of excessive wear.