Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
steveo358

fluid for hydro tranny.

steveo358
I was wondering what everyone is using in their hydros, as I am getting ready to change mine. My manual says transmission fluid, but I would have thought hydraulic fluid would be better. This will be on a 7018 hydro. Thanks in advance, Steve

OrangeMetalGuy
Dexron II in both the 716H and the 712H. Simplicity filters (others can work as well but be sure you get the right cross-match because you want the same functionality as the Simplicity filter's anti-drainback valve I - think - others are more knowledgeable on the filters than me).

RayS

Picture above list they types that can be used. Below is another from the 900 series repair manual. States you can use AC power fluid 821.

long remote filter: Simplicity 1650954 NAPA 1068 Wix 51068 Hastings LF196 Purolator L10017 AC Delco PF13 Short on the side of pump: Simplicity 1709322 Napa 1335 Wix51335 Hastings B7221 Purolator L10101

Brettw
Can't recall the NAPA filter that cross references, but it meets the micron specs for filtration, and it's WAY less bux. I am thinking it's a 1058 but can't recall for sure. Someone will chime in.

DanD
This oil: [url][/url]http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ath.aspx or this one: [url][/url]http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx Personally, I use the ATF in older tractors that originally came with the ATF in them. I use the trans-hydraulic oil in tractors that originally came with the Simplicity multipurpose oil in them. Sundstrand says either oil is ok.

Tom45
I use multipurpose transmission / hydraulic fluid in mine (not hydraulic oil) and is available at farm stores,tractor dealers, and NAPA. It is a little heavier than Dextron and I find in the winter that the engine starts better if the clutch is pushed in to disengage the hydrostatic. You can use it or Dextron, depending on your use and climate. Tom

MysTiK
quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
Dexron II in both the 716H and the 712H. Simplicity filters (others can work as well but be sure you get the right cross-match because you want the same functionality as the Simplicity filter's anti-drainback valve I - think - others are more knowledgeable on the filters than me).
The antidrainback thing was discarded, not required, I forget reasons, but the antidrainback filter is NLA. Key spec for a filter is, I think, a 25 micron filter, which is a "fine" filter, (ESSENTIAL). Those listed should work fine. I run ATF dexron, as per manual, for my 716H's Sundstrand Hydro. Method of fluid change is well detailed in "700 series" manual. It's VERY detailed, almost to excess, but do it right the first time. Beware trapped air, and make sure the "fill pipe" is SET TO CORRECT ANGLE. (affects final level). (open only when cool = gush!) Some use heavier fluids to offset wear or whine - probably lots of opinions in that arena too.