Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
PurplePiston

Looking at a 727 Broadmoor

PurplePiston
Hi Guys looking for your option. I thinking of buying a 727 Broadmoor for a winter project. The guy is selling it for $400, He didn't know the year I would suspect around 1969. 8HP,3 speed, snow blower,2 mower decks,and a tiller. He said everything works, he wasn't sure about the mower decks, hasn't used them for several years. He's in Pa. and I live in Va. before I drive 4 hrs one way. I would like your thoughts on quality, parts replacement and would this be a good winter project or would it just be a money pit. Last year I refurbished a Sovereign and it came out pretty good. thanks in advance Jerry

B10Dave
? Larry, it has a working blower and tiller and 2 possibly good decks. Plus a running tractor. $400 isn't way out of line IMO. Nice to get it for a little less but not an outrageous price to start with. Jerry; ask him to email you pics from all angles and if it looks good, go for it. Offer a little less and see what happens. Dave

Chris727
From what I understand these little Broadmoors make good snow removal tractors. If you're looking to do a lot of tilling, get a tiller for the Sovereign instead. The Broadmoor tiller is run off the transmission, so everytime you depress the clutch pedal, the tiller will stop turning. The sovereign tiller runs off the BGB which is a live PTO. Another thing to look at is that the center pivot is not stuck or binding up. Thats a very common problem on the Broadmoors.

MysTiK
I tend to agree with the idea of "qualifying" the tractor, and/or the implements. I search ads a lot and have found many interesting machines that are 2-4 hour drives. I have a truck and trailer, and the cost of pickup can break a deal. It's very hard to get a clear idea of condition, and honesty, by email - better by phone. The DARK SIDE has to be mentioned. Also some sellers are mechanically inclined and really can communicate info. Others are mechanically idiots and think everything is gold just because bla bla bla whatever. It's a tough bargaining position. People have 2 decks cos one might fail, or because 2 decks will make ONE GOOD ONE. Tillers are high wear implements that endure (or don't) a lot of abuse, and usually need something, or better/worse MAYBE. Snowblower are less trouble usually. I recommend a clear communication situation, and you might well establish a ballpark price before you go there - cos when you ARE THERE, you have already invested in it. If it sux, it sux worse coming home empty. You need a personal guarantee it will not be sold before you get there. This is a position I simply hate, and I get stressed even thinking about it. I guarantee it won't be perfect. Prove me wrong, no problem. I also know if I wait, one local or closer will pop up. The magic happened for me when I bought my "parts tractor" which had everything my first one lacked, and it was a half-hour drive for 250 (deck, blower, dumpcart, blade, chains, tractor good shape,no motor) (my first tractor was 250 plain jane, broken deck). (see sig) Having said that, I agree 400 with the attachs is good - it's a question of condition, cos you get to deal with it later. And you are adding, what, $100 for pickup? more? But that's your problem, not his = tuf spot.

dads707
Ditto on the pivot!! I have a few of the older Broadmoors and really like them. With the implements included (provided they function like they should) and it runs good, it sounds like a fair price (tho cheaper is better!!). My 728 is a 3 speed, is the 727 also a 3??

Vinnie_A
Ask for several up close photos I have hooked up my trailer and traveled many miles,spent 4 hours of my time and $30 in gas and came home empty handed. Also I agree check that pivot point. I hope not to offend any members but I have owned several of these small Broadmoors with the small HP engines and they were nothing but trouble. Overall the package sounds good but I would not depend on the engine. I sold or junked all the smaller ones and would not have another unless it was a package deal like you are interested in. Good luck