Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

243431 valve guide help

Buickgsman

I needed to install a new exhaust valve guide in my Landlord engine #243431 type 0123 The local small engine place said there were 4 styles to choose from and so I popped this out and brought it down to match it up. It did come out hard so it broke. Apparantly the guide is no longer available according to them anyway. Can anyone here tell me where I can get this guide? Picture is attached. Its broken from removal so thats why it doesnt look like its all there. Thanks Bob

If you have the part number, try searching for it on ebay. There are thousands of NOS Briggs parts there. The guy in the link below had a coil that I could not find anywhere else and has lots of parts for these old engines. http://www.bser.com/

Bob's is a great place to find NOS parts that are NLA. A lot of his stuff is in the original packaging. However, be ready for sticker shock. I bought a coil and armature assembly from him for an old 143302 6hp engine and he charged me a whopping $85.00 for it. I wouldn't call it gouging the customer, but I think he realizes how desparate his customers are to get these antique engines running.

If you can not find one I could make one for you. In the future leave the guide in the block and check with a briggs dealer for service tools to ream the bore and press in a thinwall bronze liner to resize the guide bore. I think 231218 is the thinwall liner part#. I have the reamers for briggs.

Thanks guys, i am thinking I messed up by removing the guide in its entirety. I am wondering if I can gring off the broken edge and reinstall it and then ream and install the bushing. It wouldnt hang down into the valve cover area at all but it would still function as the guide. Any thoughts on that?

Is this the same thing you are looking for or is it a bushing that goes in your piece. I would ask the guy in auction the diamter of his part and compare the two. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIGGS-STRATTON-VALVE-GUIDE-BUSHING-231218-OEM-IJ-L1-/270734895193

I wonder if the Kohler one would work . You can remove them from the top in the future. You drove it down and it would not come out of the valve box ? The bottom protrudes to align the spring with the stem . Smaller engines did not have this but now most of them do now. If someone has a broken block you could remove one from there. Can you measure the O.D. to .001" ?