Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How to convert Vangard 18hp propane?

PeppyDan

I just found a Briggs Vangard 18hp propane engine in the local salvage yard for $25. I am not familiar with the Vangard engines and have not had the chance to tear into it yet to see what is missing but I know I will need a carburetor. Are there any other differences like higher compression heads or missing governor linkages? I know the engine is a 359447 0044-e1 08041811 model and also know it came off of a generator and was brought to the yard by a local electrical company that knows nothing about engines and probably just told the customer the engine was junk rather than trying to repair the engine. I cannot see anything wrong with the engine, it has good compression and is making no strange noises when I turn it over by hand. The salvage yard had two complete standby generators that this same company brought in at the same time and each of those showed about 70-80 hours of use on the hour meter and the engines were all built in 2008 or 2009. Thanks for the help! Dan

I think it would be neat to have a tractor that ran on propane. Propane is a better engine fuel than gasoline. They used to say that farm tractors set up to run on propane would go for twice as many hours between overhauls as an engine running on gasoline. If the engine is already set up for propane, would probably easy to remove gas tank and replace with a propane tank. Hard part would be filling it!

I want to do away with the propane carb and have this engine run on gasoline. I know some of the early K series Kohlers used a higher compression head with the factory propane units and tractor pullers want those heads but I don't know if this briggs would use a H.C. head for the factory built propane engines. Does anyone have good pics of the carb and governor assembly for a Vangard 18hp engine? Dan

Most older Briggs used 2 head gaskets to reduce compresion for keroseen engines. I'm not sure if they used something special for late model twins or not. I'd recomend getting a late model repair manual and do some comparison there.

Thanks for the ideas Dave and Ray, I will being checking part #'s at Jacks. I have read on here that the Vangaurd engine is a very good engine overall, are there any things that are prone to failure on this engine? Dan

Seems to me I read that Vanguard valve clearances were critical for avoiding troubles like bent push rods - or like that. They are generally considered good, some hate them, and I think following ALL the recommended briggs maintenance specs is KEY. Once upon a time, propane was 1/2 price cheap; not any more tho. It's products of combustion are CO2 and WATER - the water demanded some consideration. Actual conversion involved the propane kit, and little else. normal compression no problem. (this info from the taxi industry long ago 1980's). (a friend punched tiny holes in bottom of his dual exhaust mufflers to drain water buildup, if any) (propane offers a slight loss of power). (propane freezes at -32*C which can cause cold start troubles). Refuel? If you have a tank you can refill, you can share fuel with another tank via proper hose connection. This was used for emergency "out of gas" situations. Convert back to gasoline should be straightforward. Dump the oil - water !??!?!!? But, it's interesting that they dumped these engines. Hmmmm. Price is right tho.

Hey Dan I'll try to take some pics tomorrow after work. Just so you know this is going to get expensive. Carb is different, you know that, oil filter adapter is different, muffler is way different, and you're going to need that stub from the engine, mounting plate and a u-joint to go onto the driveshaft. Maybe you can find used stuff but man it is hard to get that stuff used. Do me a favor and email me at twofishy4u@hotmail.com so I can directly email you pics or I'll be on my computer till Friday downsizing everything!!! Thanks and feel free to make a list of things you need to know, I just did an install 2 weeks ago.

Hey Dave, I just sent you an email! Thanks for your help and information on what I will need to get this engine going. At this point I don't even know what I am going to put this engine in but suspect it will end up in a 900 series. Dan