Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Woodruff key

henroan

I hate taking apart a good running tractor because I'm always afraid that it won't go back together the same way. The play in the steering of my 725 however, was so bad that the steering wheel was going nearly all the way around till it would turn the wheels. Couldn't be ignored any longer. The woodruff key in the part below had sheared.

I was surprised that the old one came out so easily. With a punch I knocked out about 3/4 of the old one, then with the new key I knocked out the rest of it. Then I assembled everything back together. I was so excited about how everything was going that I forgot to put the steering shaft back into the hole that it goes into when your putting on the center console. ( I don't know what its called.) Anyway took the console back off and completed assembly. It started right up. First pull in fact. I'm not a mechanic. However after I figured out what the problem was and the weather was fantastic I decided to take on the project. I wanted to take pictures but forgot. Just get into doing things. Anyone can fix these things you just have to do it. Only had one problem. When removing the set screw for the throttle one side of the screwdriver slot broke. With a pair of vice grips I took out the screw and then found a machine screw to replace it. Had to grind that down so it would fit under the throttle housing. Well that's it. I hope that maybe my story will encourage others to take on fixes for themselves. :)

wow - I thought you were one of the infinitely wise gurus here. I too am "not a mechanic" - I think I make that obvious sometimes. 8) I am more of a "generalist", or, what I call an "armchair mechanic". (meaning I intellectualize the "how to" and the "how it works" usually). I have done a few things, and my experience is like yours. I keep my radar up for trouble, I am way too careful, take way too long, and I learn it as I go, etc. - and when it's done, I am one happy camper, and proud and happy that I DIY'd it successfully again, and more confident for the next lil problem. It's doable with these tractors cos you can get at them. Congrats on mission accomplished. sm03

Good job. I'm no mechanic, I'm a retired video editor and a retired soldier. But, I did repair a shift shaft (neutral/drive lever) on a Homelite T-12 Hydro transmission. Talk about a long way to go to remove some corrosion..:D And the tractor didn't run any better after the repair! But the lever worked perfectly. I didn't have any parts left over, and I now understand how the shift shaft works, and how the hydro transmission works. Next up, I got the complete rear half of one of Maynard's tractors to swap out, and hopefully get her going for another 40 years. I got a great deal on the part from another club member: Nathan. I'm also learning the starting/generating/regulating system on these old tractors. Jim and Bob have helped me with that. Belonging to this club has made me a lot more confident, because if you get lost or confused, just take some pix ad just ask. One time Ray took an axle out and took pix of it just to show me (and others I'm sure) how. These guys will always come thru for you. Even the guys that know a lot learn things.