Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydraulic shower

jverhaag

I have an ark 9000 loader on my 4041. I finally found the reservoir for the hydro fluid. I put fluid in the reservoir, put the cap back in and started the tractor. When I ran the loader all the way to the top she blew fluid out of the cap all over the engine (hood was off) and actually hit the back of the bucket (pressure is not an issue). Of course I was covered in fluid, the tractor was/is covered and it hit the muffler (which was hot) so she smoked like a NASA rocket launch. If I hadn't been laughing so hard I might actually have been mad. The Mrs didn't find this nearly as amusing :D What did I do wrong? Should the bucket be up or down when putting in fluid? How do I know how much fluid is in there (there are no marks left on the loader). While it was funny I don't want a repeat hydro shower.

quote:
Originally posted by jverhaag
Not at all. I had changed the oil so it was fresh.
Fresh oil would not have anything to do with it as you might have had empty lift lift cylinder on one side of the cylinder stroke and then purged a slug of air air into the reservoir. That would cause foamy oil. Just a thought.:)It really doesn't take much to agitate oil and make it foamy.

I did not know that. That makes sense. I thought the foam was caused by the oil itself breaking down. But if it was air in the system that would explain that. Would air in the system cause the buckets and lift to bleed off pressure? You can actually see the bucket/loader slowly dropping regardless of a load or not. How do you get the air out of the system?

To get the air out you just have to cycle it a few times up and down,I have had a over flow at times my self, cylinders need to be fully sucked in and leave the oil down about 3-4 inches when filling. Mine has a air hole in the cap make sure the hole is not pointing at you when done.:O

My ARK600 loader has a screw with a washer under it, about 3/4 of the way to the top of the post that acts as a reservior. The idea is to remove this screw and fill the post to the level of the screw. I have never had any fluid come out the fill cap. It sounds like you simply overfilled the reservoir. John U

But if the loader was up, the cylinders would be full and the reservoir would've been low. It should've blown fluid out when you brought the loader down and the fluid re-entered the reservoir if it was just overfull.

quote:
Originally posted by mjdkraft
But if the loader was up, the cylinders would be full and the reservoir would've been low. It should've blown fluid out when you brought the loader down and the fluid re-entered the reservoir if it was just overfull.
Double acting cylinders don't displace volume, push it out on one side. take it out on the other. Single acting cylinders just push it in. He said he ran it from the bottom up and it's possible one side was drained and the hydraulics pushed out an air bubble.

Within the black circle is a small screw that is removed when filling the column to indicate a full level. The hose circled in yellow is the return line. The area above the full level is to absorb surges and bursts of air when purging the cylinders. If the column is overfilled, John V has told us what will happen. The fill plug is on the top of the column and has a small vent hole to let air in and out, not act as a nozzle for hydraulic fluid.

John U

Any hydraulic cylinder displaces volume. The volume of the cylinder rod needs to be displaced in order for it to function. It takes more fluid to run a cylinder out than is does to retract it. That is why you check fluid levels with all cylinders retracted.