Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Daddy's Girl!

scrapper

I My 8 year old daughter has expressed interest in the older tractors. My question is, what would be a few choices for smaller frame tractors, preferably hydro,(easier to control without being able to reach the pedals)that would be easy to handle. I saw an old red and white sears tractor that looked small but it wasn't hydro. She handles the 7012h well, but can't reach the lift rod or hit the break. With the machine being hydro she is able to drive it because of the hand control.

I think it's pretty cool; but I strongly urge safety education - tractors have no brain; they will drive right off a cliff, or into trees, or into traffic. They don't know. They don't care. In another world, dirt bikes, I learned to keep my head up AFTER a near death experience - after that, I saw all the danger before it happened - well, most of it. These are not toys. Guns same thing. etc etc etc. Pain and crying after the fact - irrelevant. That's the harsh reality. See my signature "quote"; it covers a lot of stuff. Sadly, most people ask "why". The positive side for your daughter - confidence, entrusted, personal power, recognition, contacting the environment, reality, self-appreciation, personal safety, responsibility, etc etc etc. Controlling the cost of that is the thing; and I don't mean $$$$.

Yea safety is number one, also the project in itself. she is very involved when I work on my trucks, also were we live it's very flat and mowed for a while. This is not a situation were she could hop on and go for a ride whenever she wants. It's more like a fun restore project, and with now deck ride a round in the yard, pull a wagon, drive back to the pond to fish, haul gear around a campsite,only when I'm right next to her the entire time. I think its safer than a four wheeler or dirt bike. Plus the time is more well spent during the restoration and maintenance and function.

My Grand Daughter started on a Wonderboy 575.No brakes but they did not go very fast so that was not a problem as it has a joy stick for steering and clutch.All she had to do was leave go of the stick and it would stop. No mower on it so was no problem there. She did have a lot of fun popping wheelies with it. Now at 8 she likes the go carts better or the powermax tractors.I am always there when she is driving and knows that if she goes where she should not be I will yell at her.Been a lot of fun years so far.

a simplicity 525 is a great starter tractor for her. my step sister was 4 or 5 years old when she first strated. i put the tractor in 1st gear idealed down and walked along side of her till she was about 6 or 7. i also told her that by pushing the throtle down it would kill the engine and stop the tractor at the same time. she is 8 years old now and can reach the brake pedal with no problem. so any tractor in that size would be a good starter, and an easy restore project

safety first!!! maybe a tractor that she is comfortable with. SOMETHING WITH A WORKING SEAT SAFETY AND A EASY TO REACH KILL SWITCH. BE SAFE OUT THERE EVERY DAY WE LEARN SOMETHING NO MATTER WHAT AGE WE ARE 5 TO 90 MAKE IT SAFE

my 3 yr old drives the 75th soveriegn around. Lately he likes "drive it by myself".... dad stays close and is moments away from the hydro lever but amazing how good he does, with power steering he's a little pro.

My son started out with the 2210 the key was right in front of him if he had to stop and 1st gear was slow even if he gunned the throttle and that happened alot :O

Problem with the brake - assuming it works, and stops the tractor, if the brake is released >>>> TRACTOR IS FULL-ON GOGO cos the hydro engages fully on brake release = oops. OO My brake is nearly useless, really won't stop anything. Called dealer, he said never mind the brake, nobody uses it = use the hydro stick. Brake use is only for parking. It's considered harmful to tranny to engage and disengage the TRANNY - which is what the brake does, whether it works or not for stopping. Beyond that, the brake disengages tranny for easy starting, less strain on starter. I mentioned it before - what you think is a cute little 12 hp, is actually a beast, and very little different to a 16+++hp. As long as it gets traction, it's outta here. If I set mine against a wall, etc., with hydro engaged, the back wheels spin forever - at IDLE. ! I don't get good feelings about this tractor in the hands of an 8 yr old. Hide the key. A 10-12 yr old maybe, but what do I know. I consider it dangerous with me driving. And operating a hydro stick while standing, or running (omg) beside it, is a recipe for injury. I almost learned that the hard way too. I am opposed - too much to go haywire. Last but not least, all the little friends think it's cool too. Now you really got a legal problem. Have fun with that. sorry to poo poo on this little parade - not on my watch!! B)

Good for Mystik to cover the safety aspects---serious accidents are not allowed on this forum! Tha said--it's also great that your little girl has an interest at such a young age. My girls played in the dirt that Allis churned over at that age and now that they are married with gardens of their own they are appreciating more the old equpuipment--not only what it can do but how much fun it is to restore and use. So kudos to you to have the patience with them as you work on and teach them what you know!

Thanks everyone I will take everything in, as always from this sight. You guys all have very valid experience and knowledge of these machines and I appreciate the comments!

My three children were all driving garden tractors and riding lawn mowers when they were young. The two boys started driving at age 6, and my daughter was age 7 when she first drove a tractor. I was very strict about the operation of any vehicle, even their bicycles. They were around me as I worked on many items from the time they could crawl around. I gave them things related to what I was doing to play with. I taught them about tools, and the hazards that go along with some of them. I did not, and still don't believe in "Kid Proofing" my home, my garage, or my tractors. I taught my children how to behave around certain things, and how to use others. They never hurt themselves or others while driving a garden tractor or using a hazardous tool. One other thing: My children were never allowed to operate my tractors, mowers, or use any hazardous tools without my permission. They had go karts, motorcycles, and at times were allowed to move my cars around in the driveway. Regardless of what they did, they always came to get my permission, and "always" used the items under my supervision. My wife backed me up by always making them get my permission. She would not let the kids use any of my equipment without "my" permission. In fact, even my wife will not get any tools from my garage without asking me first. I have always believed in training and discipline. It saves more people than any idiot switched ever did. One other thing, other children were "never" allowed around when a tractor or mower was being operated. In fact my children had a very hard time understanding why they could not take their friends in my garage to "play", since that was where they spent a large amount of their time. I had a hard time making my children understand that the items that they sometimes "play" with, would hurt other children who did not know how to use the tool or even act when in a hazardous environment like my garage. They survived, with no permanent damage, and now use their own tools and equipment. Seems that they tend to injure themselves quite often with their own stuff. Hard to tell a 30 year old that I taught him not to use the tool that way, or that a tractor should not be operated in that manner.

My Dad gave me good advice. His idea "When you can start it, you can use it" for walking lawnmowers that I used a rope to start, no recoil. I tried and finally learned with an 18" Whirlwind with a 2.5 HP Clinton, a year or so later, a 26" Yazoo with a 5 HP Clinton. Dumb me! I worked hard to get there, been cutting grass ever since, didn't start riding a lawnmower til about 20 years ago. His advice was the same on an L John Deere with an Armstrong starter and lift. I never broke an arm, because he showed me how, first. IF you work with her, show her HOW and especially WHY NOT to do some things, if she listens, that is, she should be ok

Thanks guys, Tractors four wheeler three wheelers dirt bikes, are all dangerous machines. If you are not educated on there operation. My daughter and son (daughter8, son9), have both been brought up to respect machines and tools. I myself don't believe in child proofing, to an extent. I will hide the keys though. Kids will be kids and sometimes that temptation is had for them to resist. I have a 1985 200s honda three wheeler,I found to the road for garbage. My kids and I restored it, and we enjoy it every summer. With respect and education the most dangerous off road vehicle can be safe. I was just so excited when my daughter turned to me, she was my rag and pump girl, greasing the 7012 and,said "daddy I want my own tractor to fix up and ride around the land in the summer." I wasn't surprised at this, I just thought now if I do that the boy will want one. He responded by saying "they are to slow, I want a dirt bike". Believe me I wish he wanted the tractor. That's just the way he is though. My daughter sees more than the speed. She is interested in working on things and having the reward of them being nice and operational, and proud. When ever I'm doing something in the garage it's her that comes with me not the boy. I'm fine with that because she is learning things. Just like some of you guys have mentioned being around tools, machines, lifts, jack, stands, dangerous stuff. I have been doing my best to educate her.

My son started out at 9 or so with a cheap JCP 25" mower less the deck. The top speed was maybe 5 MPH. I also had a Swisher that he learned to mow grass with, ugly machine, fairly safe to grass with. At fifteen at my cousins farm he was qualified to run the bigger machinery on his own. His daughter (the one in my signature picture)is now eleven (too big to sit in my lap:D)and will be on her second year with the 917 and 48" mower deck under dads supervision. My oldest grandson got confused on my Broadmoor at age 14 and the tractor almost took him thru a bridal wreath bush in first gear. At least he had the sense to turn the ignition to off. Two more grand kids to go.

Garden tractor pullers have younger than your child pulling in compition. The father walks along side the tractor. Most are Cub and have a beefy steel pedal that they extend many inches. How about a 4211 Hydro . The pedal would be easy to extend or place another in front with a linkage rod. Control lever is in between your legs. The unit is lite compared to the 7000 so if she did hit something it would have a chance of not being completely destroyed. You could place a deadmans on the unit pedal like the pullers have. Even the manual trans version was easy to shift 5 speed.

I agree with the 4211 Hydro (or equivalent) recommendation. Like stated, the hydro control is between the legs, rather than an arms reach away. In addition to small and light they're also inexpensive...

I'm kinda new to this so give me a little more info about the 4211 hydro. Pics, make.. anything else to educate me on the pricing?? that sounds like the tractor for her. I like what you guys say about the trans control between the legs. Any more Info,would be appreciated on the 4211h. thanks again guys for the help.

Early to mid 80's I think, like 83 84 Equivalent to the A/C 611 11 horse vertical shaft small frame lawn tractor I wouldn't give $100 for one LOL but you shouldn't pay more than 3 or 400 around here for a decent one http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1983/4200_series.htm

Are these belt driven with a vertical shaft? I know you guys mentioned they are hydro, but can't something be considered hydro,and still have to turn a belt to move the wheels?

http://www.simpletractors.com/X-reference/s_ac_pg5.htm (look for 4200's) (or look for a 7012, 712, etc) (hit the UP button for the full list of pages). With "product number" aka "MFR #" aka "MFG #", you can enter in the (left) box and goto briggs MANUALS DOWNLOAD, for most things Simp or AC ever made. With an operator's manual, you can get a good overview pretty fast. The X-REF list is a valuable tool. Pretty much a manual search tho. Lots of info on the list itself.