Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rear axle 7114 hydro 14 hp

expediter

I recently bought the above described Simplicity 7114.While driving,and using a snow blade I noticed that only the left wheel provided any traction.ie.when tractor got stuck and wouldn't move forward,ONLY the left wheel was turning. Will/can I get any advise on what the non driving right wheel issue is and how to fix the problem

Welcome to the club sir ! Your tractor has an inner and an outer axle (axle and axle tube as one fits inside the other) The outer axle tube feeds power to the differential which then passes it on to the wheels. But it isn't a locked rear end. If is was, you would have trouble steering it at times and it would tear up your grass every time you made a sharp turn. What it is is a limited slip. Meaning both wheels pull up to a point. But you only get full power to one/part to the other. I would remove the right wheel and hub and pack the differential with heavy bearing grease. The tear strength of the grease directly effects the amount of limited slip. (IMO) Others may not agree but unless there are broken/missing parts its about all the remedy you have as far as I know. Good luck with it.

On these later model tractors there is a modification that can be made to increase the friction in the limited slip differentials. I did one over 20 years ago. Basically what I did was to disassemble the differential and add washers behind the friction springs to create more force. This makes it much harder to spin just one wheel, but will still let the wheels move at different speeds when mowing and does not tear up the grass. Someone else did a write-up on doing this modification. If you search for "shimming a differential", or other similar wording, you should find the post. You can also lock up the diff if you desire. That way, both wheels will always rotate at the same speed. To do this, all you need to do is remove the right side hub, then reach in and pull out the gear that drives the left side axle and flip it over. This will cause the gear to intersect the spider gears for both the left and right sides and prevent the differential from equalizing the wheel speed, so both wheels will turn at the same speed. I have done both and recommend shimming the springs. If you lock the diff it either tries to go straight when you turn the front wheels or will make one of the rear wheels slip and tear up the grass. Locking eliminates the maneuverability that most of us want from these small tractors. Also, when pushing snow, you will need chains, if you have turf tires, and it is also advisable to add weight to the rear of the tractor, either with hang on weights or wheel weights.