Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Quick Lil Homie Q&A

Talntedmrgreen

Curious if the HiLo for a Broadmoor will fit a T-8 Homelite...anything on the Homie's driveline that might be different from a Braodmoor? Will it still run a Broadmoor Tiller? I have a pile of Broadmoor stuff, but no Broadmoor. Seeing as the T-8 is a little bit more unique, I thought about redoing my dozer and HiLo in blue and white for use on one. Thanks!

Do you have the rear hitch for your tiller? The Hi Lo will fit. There were two different model numbers for the Broadmoor Low Speed Pulley Kit. The only difference between the two was the way the shifter was bent. Yup, paint your plow blue, same goes for the tiller. The Hi Lo would be black, just like the transaxle. How bout some photos??:D:D

I don't have a tiller, but see them come and go locally fairly often. I have a HiLo, mower, blower, deck and dozer though. I've always like the Homelites, and always like the small frames, yet have very, very little room for either, so a blue small frame would be perfect :)

I dont think the tiller would work with the lower speeds on the Hi-low. I say this because the HiLow will not only slow the tractor down, but it will also slow down the speed of the tiller.

Good info...something I did not know. So the PTO for a Broadmoor tiller runs off the driven pulley? I need to get my hands on one of these machines just so I can learn the ins and outs of them. &:) What's the HiLo for then? Just snowblowing?

I dont think the pto pulley turns any slower wth the hi lo. The reson I say this is when i till with my yeoman it spins just as fast in any gear and the only way to slow down tiller is to back off on throttle.

quote:
Originally posted by timflury
The Hi Lo will fit. There were two different model numbers for the Broadmoor Low Speed Pulley Kit. The only difference between the two was the way the shifter was bent.
I think one Hi-Lo is either for Serf and or Yeoman and the other for the Broadmoor 990324 and 990420 both down loadable.|)

The Hi Lo was made for the early two speed transaxles. The early ones didn't have an output shaft for a tiller/revitalizer. And remember, the leaf collection systems had their own engine attached to the rear of the tractor. They just happen to be a bolt on addition to the all three speeds made up to the 5008/5010 in 1975.

On a Broadmoor or the equivalent H-8, the Hi-Lo slows down the rotation of the input pulley. Thus, it will definitely slow the PTO output pulley relusting in slow down of the tiller. Tim is correct that the Hi-Lo units were made to be used on the older Broadmoors with only 2 forward speeds, and were for use with snowblowers The 2 speed trannys did not have any PTO output shaft, and so there were no tillers made for these early Broadmoors. But the do also fit the 3 speed trannys. TomSchmit

Hmmm...ok. So, on a later, 3 speed do the machines run slow enough in first gear to run a tiller effectively, since they weren't really designed to use a HiLo, but were designed to run a tiller? I'm learning a lot...thanks!

I have also been told by those who have tillers, those with the 3 X 3 combination have better control of tilling as the teeth aren't running that fast. I was going to pursue for my 5010 and then STUPIDwoke me up. I have a tractor mounted tiller 32" wide and it has 16 HP along with a hydro and hydraulic lift, doh!!! :Q

I'd have to get a feel for the slower tiller speed...I do love having mine make flour out of the soil while I creep along. This year I have spaces I'm interested in tilling in the spring where it's just not going to work trying to squeeze in a large frame. Plus, it's always nice having an excuse for another tractor sm03 I never knew any of this as far as the lil fellas go, so it's all good info. Part of me just wants a nice clean small frame, part of me says I could do without. Either way, I have a better idea what to look for, and if I get one just for the grins of it, it would probably be a roundhood.

A Low Speed Kit also helps a lot at tractor shows. 'specially when they host a slow race. Josh, You will be able to make "flour out of the soil" with a small frame tractor/tiller, but there are better ways to spend your seat time. By all means, mount it up and try it. I sold my tiller because it was just too much for a 5hp engine. The feature I liked the most about the small frame tillers is the fact that the tines stop when you hit the brakes. The manual also recommends traveling with the pto disengaged in case you run over uneven grades. I also recommend a front counter weight. It's on there for steering when traveling.

quote:
Originally posted by timflury
A Low Speed Kit also helps a lot at tractor shows. 'specially when they host a slow race.
Yup two years in a row Tim with Serf on the left lst, me with the 101, 2nd. We're going for a three bagger in 2012;) 2011
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/TimAndBltTrophySml.jpg[/img]
2010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuKnjDd5jQ4