Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hood T-bolt interest

Buickgsman

I got the hood T-bolts back from the machine shop and installed them. They are looking pretty nice. I had them made out of stainless so no rust issues. I am going to try and have a few more sets made up. Is there any interest out there in having more made? If a set of 4 in stainess was $120.00 is that unrealistic? Let me know if I should look into this more? Bob

For a restoration like yours, $120 would probably be a decent price for a set. I think just recently only a pair of original bolts went for $50+. I have not found the originals difficult to come by...finish might be great or could be butt-ugly, but they usually are on the tractors I find. I do like what you have there...sure would be the cat's pajamas to have the ability to make those up! ;)

Make sure you have lock nuts on the threads. I didn't and learned the hard way. They have a tendacy to loosen and before you know your're one short. Also my super duper assembly drawing.:D http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/BLT/HoodBolts.jpg

Hey Bob, Thanks for the drawing, and I agree... it is super duper. Although it is a nice clear diagram I am still a bit confused. I will admit on my Big Ten I took the springs out and the hood goes on much easier. Should I put them back in? The springs just seem to be a pain in the butt.I think I had the spring between the hood and the threaded bar. not sure if thats right.. even after the drawingsm06

I've always felt there was sufficient market for someone to reproduce these, given what originals sell for. There have been several times someone has offered them and then quit after selling only one or two sets. The last time the price was only about $60 and everyone was still complaining about the price. You might sell one or two sets max at the $120 price. Personally I would prefer a chrome finish than the stainless look.

great looking bolts. for the average tractor user that maybe a bit pricey, but for a serious restore that's the way to go. and your tractor is VERY nice. my buddy restored a wheel horse last year and had a box full of parts zinc plated. the price was by the pound. and since he had a simplicity T-bolt laying around for me he threw it in the box to have zinc plated. it turned out nice. i am not sure the exact price to weight cost but he said it was $90 to have these parts done. you can see the T-bolt in the pic. ill post a better pic.
[img]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/wheelhorsekelly/100_3765.jpg[/img]

Nice looking bolts! I'm a little skittish of the price. One place I use alot at work is called Misumi. You can get them to quote a custom or use one of their already made items. I bet they have one just like the hood bolts already. The prices I get from them are very good too.

quote:
Originally posted by Buickgsman
Hey Bob, Thanks for the drawing, and I agree... it is super duper. Although it is a nice clear diagram I am still a bit confused. I will admit on my Big Ten I took the springs out and the hood goes on much easier. Should I put them back in? The springs just seem to be a pain in the butt.I think I had the spring between the hood and the threaded bar. not sure if thats right.. even after the drawingsm06
The springs are the snubbers and are supposed to keep the hood tight. My hood is sprung a tad and it is a problem getting it on at times, but it stays snug.