Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

919h w/o a motor

rpickle

There is a 919 available on CL somewhat nearby. No motor. I don't think it has power steering. The person that is selling it acquired it from a widower. Paint, sheet metal all look pretty good. Seat looks OK. Has ag tires on the rear. Wants $250 for it. I know of a used CH18s that is around Ft. Wayne. Unkowns with it are: what it was mounted to and hours. Supposed to run fine though. He wants $400 for it. I think it would make a nice keeper. I need to decide this morning. Decisions, decisions......

A 900 series with hydraulic lift and a CH18 would certainly be a nice tractor to have. I think you would have to make some frame cutouts for the CH18 to fit though

Well, I thought I ran into a couple posts from RayS stating that the CH18s would go into that from w/o frame modifying. Even so, I think it would make a nice tractor as my keeper. Thanks Larry

It's a risk. I have bought many 95-2000 sovereigns for $700 to $1000 and usullay sell them for about $2000. Mufflers are expensive, and you have no idea how other stuff works since it does not run.

I talked to that guy about the Command a couple of months ago. He said I could hear it run. So that I knew I would be getting a decent motor. That motor has a key switch on the flywheel shroud. So you would need a shroud, chopper screen kit part number 24 755 79-S, grass screen part number 24 162 37-S, flywheel adaptor part number24-029-09-S, driveshaft and a muffler. Craig has a driveshaft on ebay. The frame would be fine you will need to drill holes in frame for engine. Those parts are expensive. Especially the muffler around $200 and the chopper screen kit at around $80.00 unless you have patience and can wait for them to show up on ebay. The tractor price is fair at $250.00 but you could try to get it for less. The hydraulic lift is worth that. Is the BGB in good condition? You can easily spend $400.00 in repairs on the BGB. Not a bad price if you are willing to wait on the parts and you can put about any motor in it. You would also need a rubber oil drain hose because the oil drain hole in the frame of the 919 is about 3" off from the drain on the command.

Thanks for the info Ray. The tractor owner has all ready come down from $300, plus he has offered to meet apprx. half-way saving me about 120 miles round trip. As far as being patient, I can manage that. Once this one would be work-ready, then I could sell things it would replace. Hec, I may find a Sunstar parked in garage that has a CH20 on it:)

quote:
Originally posted by rpickle
As far as being patient, I can manage that. Once this one would be work-ready, then I could sell things it would replace.
That is what I do. It works for me.

This is similar deal /idea to my parts tractor. It's a 716-6speed w 3 x 2 hi/lo. Complete, steers, shifts, brakes, came w attachs, etc. NoMotor = K341s. My main is 716H. My parts tractor only needs a motor - they pop up for high price, and yes, the addon parts for the motor, electricals, muffler, etc. are deal breakers potentially. Better w full motor kits (all stuff) inclusive. Which brings me to the other possible approach. Buy another one that's also near complete - make the best of both worlds, AND have a full set of parts. The "goto parts tractor" approach is wonderful. I see the numbers you are adding up as being same or maybe worse than the cost of another complete 719, or similar. So, I think, how could paying for one be better than paying for two - and yes, that's a possibility, either way. Circumstance dictates - it takes up space, or needs a shelter, and can lead to three; or more.

No Ray, not yet anyway. If he still has it in a month or so, I'll see if His price will come down. I don't mind getting it and waiting for an engine, it's my storage options that suck.... Did you have eyes for it? By all means! He posted a couple pics on the CL for Huntington/Ashland area. Talked to him twice, nice gentleman that farms.

I am not interested. I am retiring from purchasing any more tractors. I have all that I wanted now. May start selling off my B series parts. Just checking to see if you ended up getting it.

If I may offer my opinion, I have a Sovereign that still had a good running Triad engine in it. I decided to sell the Triad engine while it was still good and repower it with a Command in one of Al Eden's kits. It was very easy to install with complete step by step instructions. Also came with the expensive parts like the muffler and screens mentioned in one of the earlier posts, along with all the little parts needed. I know it's not cheap, but go price a new quality garden tractor like these (if you can find one as good). My tractor actually belongs to my dad, so with the kit I put in minus what I sold the Triad for, I have about $1900 in this tractor. Given proper care, I'd expect this tractor to be going yet in 30 years (I also have a 1975 7016 that still runs great). I don't think this is too much money to put into one of these quality tractors.

Dan nice clean tractor with pwr steering that's the 99/2000 I think as they have what I call the "sir crack a lot" seats. Glad the repower worked out.

quote:
Originally posted by hotrodtractor
Dan nice clean tractor with pwr steering that's the 99/2000 I think as they have what I call the "sir crack a lot" seats. Glad the repower worked out.
I believe it's a 2000 model. It was bought new in May of 2000 anyway. I've thought about just getting a replacement seat from Fleet Farm. Thay have some that look pretty nice and are more of a rubber material as opposed to vinyl that will crack. New seat from Simplicity is over $150. DOn't know if it's still made the same or not. The part number has changed from what's in the parts book.