Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
StanLa

B112 tractor

StanLa
I was mowing my lawn with my B112 and it started making noises like a bearing was tearing apart somewhere. The tractor engine kept running but the tractor wouldn't move. I was wondering if someone could tell me where to look to find the possible trouble. I have taken the hood and side panels off, but I am not sure if the trouble is on the engine side of the shaft or on the other end. Thanks, Stan

SmilinSam
Most likely your Bevel gear box has problems. Was the tractor vibrating bad at the same time? And does the driveshaft move when you grab hold of the PTO or transmission drive pulley on the bevel gear box and turn it?

BradW
My B-10 did the same thing, I shut it off, tried again and made horrible noise, checked it over and nothing abnormal, drove it and came to a dead halt, input shaft spinning, belt not, removed cover, bearing had seized, stopped one gear, then the other rotating at 3600 RPM decided to strip itself and the other, oh poop, time to split the machine, I finally rebuilt it, but never did get the machine to run, I still need an original model 23d briggs for restoration, most likely it is bevel box though, start it up, lift the seat, if the belt doesn't spin, it is shot, if the deck stopped mowing, then it is for sure the bevel box, good luck,-BradW

swood
Would bet the farm....BEVEL GEAR BOX.....They aren't the easiest thing to change, but rebuilding one once you have the box out is quite easy. Do yourself a favor while apart, buy a new shaft for the unit, check your old first, but I think you'll find it to be pretty worn in spots. There are 2 gears inside and the shaft and a couple of keyways. You'll need to " split the tractor" in 2. the bevel box basically holds the front and back together. e-mail me if you have any questions . Did one last winter on my B-112. Scott