Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B110 hard start

B110guy

Currently have the carb apart for redoing. Had the B110 out a few weeks ago pulling the kids around in the snow. It started hard then and when I tried the other day to get it running it wouldn't start at all I have good spark, so I'm hoping the carb work will fix her. My fear is this...while pulling the kids around she would occasionally start to miss and pop like it was backfiring a little. Far more missing than popping. Is the only way to check the flyweel key to remove the engine? this sounds like a fairly common issue and from what I've read the backfire and miss are a good way to sheer the key. It ran just fine after the missing, but it ran better when I backed off the throttle a little bit. B110guy

quote:
Originally posted by B110guy
I'm assuming that since fuel is pouring out the welsh plug that I don't have a delivery issue. AaronSEIA
Yup, sorry didn't read first thread. Then there is a possiblity that you have a porus float, submerse it in some fresh gas and observe for air bubbles. As far as getting to flywheel key, you're right engine needs to come out.

Generaly poping /backfire is usually related to running lean if you don't find any reason in the carb make sure intake mount gaskets are good.ps it's a good idea to eliminate the spark plug also

A thought that comes to my mind is the condition of the points AND condenser. I had similar issues with a AC 716 with briggs engine and rebuilt carb multiple times and replaced with a new carb to no avail. My dad finally convinced me to change the points and condenser and it purred like a kitten! Dan

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm thinking I might just convert to the electronic trigger I've read about and throw a new plug on it while I'm at it. Any recommendations as to the plug? B110guy

quote:
Originally posted by B110guy
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm thinking I might just convert to the electronic trigger I've read about and throw a new plug on it while I'm at it. Any recommendations as to the plug? B110guy
The mainstay for Briggs has been forever Champion. The current plug would be a J19LM. Spark plugs are a personal preference. I still have a couple of J-8's from who knows when still firing away. You will get all sorts of recommendatios and like I say it is a personal thing.