Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

well, this didn't work

dav

had to change wheel bearings on the front of the B-1 so i decided it was time to paint the rims on all the iron; Landlord, Big Ten and the B-1. been a case of do 2, then put them on a tractor so i can do the 2 that came off and put them on the next tractor. etc first set of rears i took the tires off, sand blasted the rims, sprayed with rusty metal primer, then the finish color. took them to work to use the tire machine. one of those manual small tire machines from harbor freight. scratched the heck out of the new paint. let out the air, pushed cardboard under the edges and touched up the paint. second set i left the tires on. sandblasted, then masked with the paper tape. wound up with little triangles of paint because i didnt cut the tape or bend it right and had exposed areas where two peices of tape met. third set, and the tires for the cart, i again left the tires mounted while i sandblasted. then i painted the rubber with vegetable oil. each time i sprayed (primer and 2 coats of finish) i repainted the oil. figured soap and water would wash off the veggie oil. nope! nuked some water and tried again. scalded my fingers but not much effect on the overspray. nuked soapy water but longer so the water was hotter. same results, only my fingers were closer to boiled. (my wife says i'm a masochist-i also collect Fiat 124's so i'm sure she's right) the nylon scrubby pads didnt do much. the edge of a knife, held 90 degrees to the rubber did get a fair amount of the paint. but not all. over an hour on the first tire! so far. been reluctant to use laquer thinner or acetone because of what they will do to the paint i want to keep. but it's still an option. still have 4 front rims to do. think i will grease the sidewalls of the first tire i spray, then clean it off when the paint is dry, and regrease each time. so much for taking shortcuts!

I have painted rims with tires on by using two inch blue painters masking tape. With the tires clean, I cut a 8-12 " piece of tape and tuck it on the tire and butting up to the lip of the rim. It doesn't take long. I tuck enough to stay on the tire and then turn up the rest and that seems to hold the over spray in check. let ii dry and then flip it over, tape in place, and repeat the other side. For clean up, if any, I use Zylol.

Why don't you take a pieces of cardboard cut it out the shape of the wheel make it a 1/4 inch smaller cut it in half,let the air out of the tire and fit it under the rim. I use a wheel with out a tire and just trace around and when I cut it out I leave a 1/4 inch inside. I was going to make it out of sheet metal but never got around to it.

In the car shop where we repainted wheels for Mercedes to fix curb damage, we would use tape while the wheels were inflated and mounted. That was after we were deflating and beat-breaking, then shielding with cardboard half circles. The cardboard was certainly neater, but it could work equally well with proper taping while inflated. The important thing is to clean the bead and rim edges very thoroughly with an active solvent like brakleen or laquer thinner. Start from about 3 inches from the rim edge and run a continuous circle inward until you get about a finger width from the rim. Then use overlapping small pieces tucked in neatly to finish it. Finer the better and a little overlap on the edge of the rim is not going to be noticed on a tractor ;) if you do miss a little. A little overlap is easier to touch up than a little overspray. Tape some news paper to the outer edge to finish the job and you can spray as much as you want sm01 The main thing with taping toward the inside is when you are done you can un-tape from the outside as a big sheet. Less finger prints and other risks to worry about.

I use a cheap flower pot and cut 2" off the top, the cheap nesting kind are incrementally sized, and I found one at walmart that fits like a glove. Stays on by itself. I haven't found the right size for the rear tires yet, but soon, soon! :)