Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

OHC Valve stem seals

SimpleMan

Took the Kohler OHC out of my Sovereign to install "clean out plugs", (got tired of having to remove the engine in order to clean the cooling fins). Since have the motor out already, thought I'd ask the following. I've noticed that the engine, after it is warmed up, smokes after being shut down, then re-started. I've gone through all of the checks, and the only thing that makes sense to me is that the oil is getting by my valve stem seals. Here's the deal...are these seals relatively easy to get at? Or, will I have to do a major tear down, before I can get to them? Reason I'm asking, I don't want to bother with this if it means major work, but will definitely try to fix the problem if I can, especially since I already have the engine out of the tractor. If this is a do-able job...where do I get parts? Thanks all Gord Unger

Gord, Wish I knew! mine does the same, not to mention the 'incessant' valve cover leaking. They do make a kit you can put on so you don't have to pull the engine each time. I got these #'s from another member here; Access Panel Kits 25 755 20 (Black) or 25 755 21 (Gold). Pretty easy to put on (if you have the engine out). Let me know how you make out, wish I could offer some opinion, haven't got that far yet. Seems Kohler & Simplicity have turned into 'Ollie North'. Maybe one of the dealers here will offer some insight. JP

JP Those are the same plugs I installed. As far as valve covers...mine have been fine since new (lucky I guess?). I'm hoping for dealer insight also. The valve stems is the only thing that seems to make sense to me...but I certainly want to know if I am wrong. Gord PS How bad do your valve covers leak?