Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
midnightpumpkin

Kohler M20 starter question

midnightpumpkin
We tried to start a new to us Sunstar that we bought last week. The starter engages, but there seems to be a clutch as part of the bendix on the end. When the engine starts to turn over, this clutch begins to slip and no longer turns the flywheel even thou the starter motor is still running. We sprayed brake part cleaner on the bendix, now the clutch slips all the time, not even beginning to turn the flywheel. What can be done to clean/adjust this clutch?? Thanks John U

BLT
If you do not have it, the engine spec number is 49544. You can do a parts lookup and and download the repair manual at Kohlerengines.com . In either the engine manual section of part lookup section, you have to check a box that you agree to their disclaimer and after that enter as a guest. The spiral on either shaft or gear might be still gummy even after your spraying and when the bendix goes to the start position, it will stick to the point where the motor can't spin it forward. I have had this on Tecumseh snow blower starters and have had to repeatedly wash it down with WD40 or brake cleaner. The repair manual makes no note of your situation that I am aware about and there are no adjustments My guess is you'll probably have to take out starter to see what is going on.

MikeES
The problem that you may have is the gear on the end of the starter is broke. This gear is connected to the inside spiral with a rubber material to act as a cushion. This rubber filer can get old, brittle and break. When you try the starter on the bench it works fine, and even works for a partial rotation turning the motor. To check, pull the starter, hold the starter shaft (with the end nut) and then try turning the gear. I bet that you will find that the rubber is broke. This gear is part of the drive kit #5275505, but NLA, you must buy the whole starter (or find an old starter for the parts).

midnightpumpkin
Bob, I removed the starter and removed the bendix from the shaft. The bendix seems to have a clutch action built into it. On this one, I can turn the internal part relative to the larger external teeth with minimal effort. I suppose this means the bendix is worn out but I would like to repair it if possible. Here is a picture of the bendix I am speaking of.

Any thoughts on salvaging this bendix?? John U

midnightpumpkin
quote:
Originally posted by MikeES
This gear is connected to the inside spiral with a rubber material to act as a cushion. This rubber filer can get old, brittle and break.
MikeES has described exactly what the problem is. Now the question; is there any way to tighten this assembly up without replacing it. John U

BLT
John I called the electrical shop that I deal with and what you have is an over running clutch and the parts are so small they virtually non repairable. They have tiny balls and springs that cause the gear to lock on the shaft when starting and and overrun the shaft when engine starts. Over time those parts wear down until they lose their grip.

midnightpumpkin
Bob, That makes sense. When I first tried the started it turned the flywheel a little ways then slipped. After I sprayed it with brake kleen it slipped all the time. It probably had enough "gum" in it to cause the initial grip. The assembly looks like it is swaged together, which makes it pretty much non repairable. Thanks for your input. After dinner I went back out and tried the starter again. After a few tries is began to engage and turn the engine over. It now is working fine. Apparently the brake clean had to evaporate out of the internals of the clutch?? Now to get it running. John U

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by midnightpumpkin
Bob, Thanks for your input. After dinner I went back out and tried the starter again. After a few tries is began to engage and turn the engine over. It now is working fine. Apparently the brake clean had to evaporate out of the internals of the clutch?? Now to get it running. John U
;)

Al
Hi, You are right on regarding the rubber slip clutch in the gear. I have tightened them in a press. As you roll the rolled edge on the back side of the gear it crushes the rubber tighter so it slips less. The purpose of the clutch is to protect the shaft from breaking when the gear meshes and hits the end stop. Don't go overboard on the tightening. If the armature is held, you should be able to turn the gear with a pliers. Al Eden

1Litre
There is no way to test that part without installing it. When the rubber inside shrinks as the solvent works out ,it will slip more than before. Start looking for a replacement part. This is not a common problem . I only had this two times in all the years I have worked on them.

MikeES
Are there any parts in the clutch? I think it is just rubber, I have one that the rubber was falling out of in chunks, and I did not see any metal parts. Maybe a person could melt/pour some rubber back in to get it to slip less???

midnightpumpkin
Al says they are just rubber inside. I would take his word on it. As he said, you can tighten them up in a press, if I have any more trouble with this one, that's what I will do. John U