Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler M20 carburetor question

midnightpumpkin

Well you guys came through and helped me resolve the starter issue with this M20 I am trying to get running. The M20 is in a Sunstar. Right now it will run for a few seconds if I prime the cylinders with gas. This points to a fuel delivery issue. I have a clean auxillary fuel tank connected to the fuel pump. I know there is some sort of fuel cutoff solenoid on the cazburetor, but I am not familiar with it. How can I eliminate the fuel cutoff solenoid as a possible culprit, before a take the carburetor apart? I am assuming the fuel pump is good, my aux tank is sitting above the carburetor, so even a bad fuel pump should pass fuel through via gravity?? Comments or suggestions? Thanks, John U

I don't think there ie an eliminator plug, Either the solenoid works or it don't. You should be able to feel clicking. A few squirts of gumout in passage might help. Solenoids go for about $70. Have replaced a couple on Commands.

Long story short version. I removed the plunger from the fuel cutoff solenoid and still couldn't get the engine to start. I then removed the idle adjustment screw completely and the engine started. Why did I do that? Just a hunch! I blew out the port where the idle adjustment screw goes and put the screw back in and backed it off 1 1/4 turns. Fired right up and ran smoothly. I then put the plunger back in the solenoid, it runs just the same with or without the plunger. I believe the purpose of the solenoid is the prevent backfires on shutdown, so I will leave it in place. This is a Walboro carb with the plunger on the top of the carb. John U

John, The KT series twins and the Magnum twins are notorious for fuel pump issues; namely the poly-carbonate plastic bodies expand or distort over time and the check valves come loose and/or do not seal anymore into their bores. My brother was pulling his hair out on the KT-17 in the 7117 last summer in that no fuel was getting to the carb. Once the fuel pump was pulled apart, the check valves literally "fell" out of the housing, and there's no easy fix for this short of a new pump. This might be your issue also?? You can test for the valves leaking/working OK with a Mighty-Vac type device. Tom (PK)