Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC at work...

Dadsy98

I was mowing the other day when my son comes out to me and said I was needed inside. I said, well, okay but you'll have to finish this. His face lit up and he said sure ! This is the second time on the tractor for him and the first time actually mowing. Kinda reminds me of the Energizer bunny.... He kept mowing,and mowing, and mowing ! http://dadsy98.homestead.com/files/p7190008.jpg

well, yes the guards for the deck are back by the shed. They should be re-installed of course. When I briefed my son on the tractor that day I pointed out the spinning belts and pulleys right off. When he finished I had a toe count and we both had ten of them. Thanks to Wally for reminding me of the safety required when using machinery. As a side note, did anyone notice the Craftsman 1036 in the background? She's a mid seventies model. My first riding mower. It might be a project for some later time...

My 14 year old doesn't like to mow until you get him going. The next time you see him, he is out there just a wheelin around and singing away. Don't the missing gaurds on your deck make you nervous with the boy on there? I grew up on a farm, I very well know the importance of gaurds.

Good point, Wally! Plus, he's mowing barefoot! Safety first, guys. Guard those V-belts, and PTO shafts, etc. Jeff

I was raised on a farm. My children and grand-children did not have that same opportunity. I have used garden tractors to teach my children and doing the same with my grand-children presently. Using equipment such as we collect is a very good way to instill good driving and safety habits long before they actually face responsibilty of the open road. Good move!!! Keep a happy relationship with your son. We lost our son to a motorcyle accident after he grew up and the happy childhood he had has meant alot to me and his mother. Marion W. Kerr

Marion, I'd guess you were raised on a old style faminly farm, with things like grain elvators, instead of augars, with jack shafts, with open u-joiints, running from both ends,power sorce and to a cable wagon lift hoist and all sorts of things osha would just have a tripple cow over. Working construction with all the safty stuff, not All bad, nowadays, makes me wonder how 7 of us lived though growiing up involved in all we did as young kids on the farm. Working with people who were not "lucky" enough to have done so makes me thankful and also understand the need for osha to some degreee cuz a lot of folks just don't seem to have a clue, Since I've gotten into these tractors been wishing I had done so when my sons were young, when thier around now not much interest in such things, cuz I missed out that time. You guys with young ones at home, get them involved, seen a few good coments on here about little johnny gettin all greased up, cool. the bond will help ride out the teen years. two year olds are the greatest. Rambling-on MPH