Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

finally got to plow......but

ac712

Well I finally got enough snow to plow this evening, was super excited to try out my new plow and chains on the 712. I was looking forward to trying out my new rear light. Made one pass and then all the lights went off and the tractor shut off. Shut off light switch, hit the key and it fired right back up till I turned the lights on. So I had to finish plowing in the dark. Any ideas as to what would cause this? I put new bulbs in the front lights and just tied into the front light power wire and ran it to the rear. I took the ground from the rear light to the negative terminal.

Start by checking your light wiring where it runs from the frame up into the lights in the hood. Maybe a wire got pinched in the hinge area and is shorting out the electrical system.

finally had a chance to check the wiring, and it doesn't appear that anything is pinched. I'm going to try and switch the ground to the chassis somewhere and see if that makes a difference. I also may put an inline fuse somewhere between the battery and the switch.

You could see any problem with wires on that style . See the post on the 20HP sunstar that shuts off on its own. I and others posted alot of usefull electrical info that may lead you to your problem. PS The box is leaving today. Thanks Ken

1Litre, I will look around at some of the older posts, hoping to mess around with it tomorrow after work. Since its Valentines Day I figured I'd better stay in the house with my wife and outta the garage. HaHa I'll be keeping my eyes open for the package.