Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
AC712H

4WD 700 or 900 Allis

AC712H
Has anyone out there put 4WD on their Allis Chalmers garden tractor? I have multiple 700 and 900 series tractors and I am considering putting 4WD on one of the 900 series tractors. I would use the setup off a Simplicity unless someone knows of a better option.

1Litre
I think it would be easy to build the grader setup one member here built. But is larger wheelbase and turning tight places would limit its use. You have to match tire diameter of unit that you remove front axle from. The ratio from axles are matched so unit steers properly. Most designes have a slightly lower gear ratio in the front axle to pull the unit along. Like chevy pickup would have 3:73 in back and 3:71 in front axle. The truck has all four wheels same size but the tractor is mismatched wheel diameters. Do legend and prestige use same rear wheel diameter as your unit? Ken

acken
On full time 4WD,such as trucks, and articulated tractors, the ratios are matched. On front wheel assisted tractors, usually the front axle was 5-8% faster than rear (must factor in tire size differance). This is to keep the tractor running straight, so the rear doesn't push the front.

MysTiK
I was shocked and dismayed when I learned my pickup f150 had "part time 4wd" - but it nicely explained the back pushing the front, my friend called it "crab walking" - and it supposedly destroys itself. My take, it's almost wrong to even use it, unless on a slippery surface such as ice, snow, sand, mud, etc. which will not resist the crabwalk, and will preserve parts. Basically it's ok for straight line use on pavement; but that is seldom, if ever, the case. I use it when I'm stuck or on snow covered roads. But I shift back to 2wd asap. Real "full time 4wd" does not have this problem. I like to think a tractor would have the real thing; but I really don't know that.

RedbarnRick
The XL legacy uses the tuff torq k 92 transaxle this is a very large unit, the same is used in JD 425 tractors, these units are meant to be bolted to the frame at the rear axle housings, the same set up that is on a sunstar tractors, to adapt this to a large frame tractor will take some doing, the last transaxle i saw for sale was new and had a near 5k price tag. I have not seen the prestige tranaxle but I would assume it was similar. Good luck with your project, if you really want one it can be done.

PeppyDan
I think it would be easier to find a legacy or prestige and re-design some 700 or 900 sheet metal for that chassis! I had also toyed with the idea of adapting some kind of front drive axle to a 700/900 or even a Sunstar or Powermax. The sunstar/ powermax would be easier to adapt front wheel assist on but still would be a major undertaking for many reasons. I believe it would require access to a full machine shop including gear cutting machines and heat treating. It would also require some cad designing to ensure that would work as desired. It sounds like a fun project and would be great if the powermaxs' could have an aftermarket kit for front wheel assist:D8D$! Dan

acken
Earlier JD FWA models used a mechanical front axle, driving from a stub shaft on the rear end. Newer versions are all hydrostatic drive, with the front end in series from the rear pump. They appear to be the same series axle as the Simplicity uses, probably slight variations. Another option could be rear drive axle out of older lawn tractors with rear steer. I am playing with one out of an old White (guessing MTD built).