Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homelite T-16H

hamman

I just picked up another Homelite T-16 H from ebay. It is a Allis Chalmer built unit. It has a front axel on it that is differant from my original T-16H. It is the same as the front axel on the parts tractor I got last year. I know there has been a discussion about this before. My question is, does anyone have an idea where we could find the exact date these were made? I really would like to know why the differant axels. I notice that the mule drive for the mowers are differant also. My original ser# 28501712 on my Dads old tractor. The one we just picked up is #33701173. All the records and books I have do not give any indication as to plant of build or location. Thanks for any help.sm01

Roger, Dating Simplicity tractors is very difficult. Simplicity did not keep records based on serial numbers. Assuming the motor has not been replaced you can date the motor; and based on that get a pretty good idea as to when the tractor was made. Rick.........

1971, 1972, and early 1973 Homelite built by Allis had the bigger heavier swept back front axle with the hitch spacings different from Simplicity tractors. The late 1973 , and I believe into 1974( at least until the Simplicity built units started coming out), tractors were altered in a number of ways but generally still looked the same as the earlier ones. The front axles were changed to have the same hitch spacings as Simplicity and were swept forward I think(Getting harder to remember this stuff..). The frames were made from a little lighter steel up front, mule drives were different. Cant remember what else.. Never have been able to pin down changes any more detailed than what I stated above.

The A/C Lexington plant was closed in mid '74 and Homelite production was moved to the Simplicity plant. A guess on my part is that the last numbers of the serial no. are the year. My T-10 ends in 74, and I see yours is 73. The late mfg. A/C built Homies are different enough to make them interesting.

Here's a post by Sam on Homelites before he forgot stuff ;): http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4328&SearchTerms=homelite,timeline

I wish I could remember all the information we received when we took on the Homelite line late in 1971 thru 1973. We could not get all the Homelite products. We could get the Mower, Tiller, GT line but not the Power (chain) Saw line. We went thru a 3 day class on the company and the line of equipment we were selling. It was mostly sales oriented and pusing the line. We almost didn't get it due to the fact that we were a HVAC business with that being our second line. They wanted us to make the equipment our first line. We had put in several mowers and tractors with some attachments and some parts. Dad sold a few tractors and quite a few mowers. My little Brother was a great small engine mech. and he did a lot of other small engine work. The economy got bad and sales fell a lot. Homelite came in and told us to up our sales or loose the line. We let it go in 1973. Been near 40 years since I used to assemble, test and set up those machines. Never thought I would look back and say wish I had paid more attention to information. I still like my Homelite Tractor and out of the two extra I have I know I can get one more running and ready to go. Roger.

I have dug thru all my old boxes of stuff looking for more Homelite material. I talked to my sister who said that when they closed my dad's old shop in the late 90s they had boxes and boxes of Homelite parts that they sold to a local small engine repair place in town. They gave him all the info and sales material also. He is since long gone and I am not sure of where all that went. There was a bigger Homelite dealer in Pontiac, MI.. They are still in business but as a Motorcycle dealer only now. I asked when the stopped selling Homelites and they said about the same time we did. They had a ware house sale in 2000 and they sold all their parts and such to a big parts place out east. He couldn't remember the name though. Would of been nice to get some of those parts. I jeep looking for a bundle of Homelite Tractor or mower parts to come up on Ebay. There has been some but most have been for the chain saws and weed whips. I am still looking though. sm01