Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Why I haven't added much to the site lately...

Kent

BTW, here's what I started with... http://www.simpletractors.com/images/gallery_images/big_ten_before.jpg

... I've been distracted. Thought I would show you where I am. It's finally together, thanks to a lot of people. I still haven't heard it run. I need to get the points set or replaced, and the "kill switch" wired. Then add my lug tires, front and rear.... Just thought this might explain my "absences". Not visible from this angle is the High/Low, which is the whole reason I started with this tractor that I bought from Dave Christensen, club president, last summer.... http://www.simpletractors.com/images/gallery_images/big_ten.jpg

Wow!Very,Very nice job.I had thought I would concentrate on the 300/400 series since the 410 has been in the family for over 25 years.But restoration's like that are tempting me to branch out a little.Only thing holding me back are the little fingers that would be around my throat if I brought home another TRACTOR! Doooh!

Wow Kent, that looks sweet.Are you going to work that one or just show it.Either way that is one fine job.

That's an amazing piece of work. Can't help but think it's one of those "too nice to use, but a shame not to" tractors. At any rate...good job. GordU

Hey,,, are you SURE?? this is the machine I sold you?lol,,So glad to see it got resurrected from the dead,,Good enough to be the center spread in a magazine,,hydro lift and all,,congrats!

kent: GREAT LOOKING TRACTOR.this is the way i like to see tractors restored from the ground up.A+++ . makes me wish i had the money and time to buy another tractor.reminds me of my b-10 so much looking at your pictures.you put a lot of time and money into it and you ought to be pround of yourself.please add it to the gallery.one more thing .please put a picture of yourself on here so we all know what our great leader looks like.i like to put names with faces. agco918 chad e shafer

Nice Job! Of course you realize it won't end there. If you have the same disease we all have it won't be long before you start thinking you have to do another.........then another..........and so on.........it never ends.........just try not to do three at the same time , it doesn't work too well that way.

The joy is in the progress(process)of the restoration.The true test comes when(and if)you can part with(sell)your hard work!It's hard to put a value on something you've worked very hard on and put so much effort into,to say it's this xxx$.But,if you enjoy what you are doing and can give someone else happiness then sell.Put your own price on it and tell any buyers if you cant get x amount you are happy to keep in your own collection.

Thanks, guys. It looks a lot better in this picture, or at a distance, than up close -- it's a "spray can special!" But, I plan on working this tractor, so that doesn't really bother me too much. I hope this can be my plowing/tilling tractor, while the B-210 can be my mowing tractor. The variable speed is just not quite slow enough for some jobs like tilling, but it sure is nice for mowing... Hopefully this one can work this winter while the B-210 gets a similar treatment. The new decals and new seat cushions make all the difference in the world... but they cost about as much as the rest of the parts, put together! I just thought I'd take some pictures while it is clean -- this may be first and last time in its life that it's this clean.... I may take some more pics and put it the gallery once I've got the lug tires on it, front and back.

That's very purrty, Kent. I like the rear headlight. Was that an option? In 1969, Dad gave my brothers and I the option of having a new snowmobile or a garden tractor. After a Bart Starr style huddle us boys chose the tractor. It was a 7hp and looked a lot like yours. Probably a B207? After looking at yours, I wish I had that one back! It really is a pretty tractor! Nice Job Kent! Paul

Nice job Kent - looks great! Could you give me any tips on how to do the wheels? I'm working on a 725 and the wheels really need some attention. Thanks, John(ri)

Rear work lights and tool boxes were options -- but if either one of these is an original Allis option -- it's purely an accident.... I bought the tool box of eBay and the rear light came with a bunch of other stuff I bought from Rob Baumuller (where the donor Big Ten with engine and hydraulic lift came from). The light was so rusty and pitted I had to soak it in penetrating oil to get it open... but it's neat, so I spent a few hours tinkering with it. It is both a tail light and work light. With the switch in one position, it's a normal rear work light. With the switch in the other position, it uses a small dyed parking/taillight bulb that's mounted behind the main light -- it shines through a small circular area where there's no silver reflector stuff... I couldn't find another red bulb, so I put an orange one in it... Looks cool! Headlights aren't orginal either, since I couldn't find any -- these are off a blue compact tractor of some type, and are bigger. But, they have both high and low beams, so I installed a univeral two-position automotive light switch...

John, I start with wet scrubbing them with 3M Scotchbrite pad, I think it's called. Its like a green abrasive steel wool pad, except it isn't steel, its something manmade. If you can't find one, use plain old steel wool. If they're so badly pitted or rusted that these pads aren't enough, then I go to the 80 grain sand paper to cut the rust off, then back to 150 grain to smooth it out. Masking is time consuming, but certainly worth it... I start by taping the bead of the rim, with the sticky side of the tape in toward the center of the wheel, leaving the tape sticking up in the air. I attach newspaper to this circle of tape, and carefully tuck the tape back down behind the bead of the rim, using a screwdriver tip, while I fold the paper down over the tire and tape it together... This is a lot of trial and error, but you want to expose the bead of the rim as much as possible while keeping paint off the tire. (BTW, forget about painting the wheels and then mounting the tires -- especially front ones -- the fresh paint job gets destroyed) I use mineral spirits on clean old cotton (like old kids socks) as my final wash and tack cloth. Its safe to work with, dries fast, and cuts through any grease or other crud and washes it off... I shoot heavy primer if it's been rusty -- several coats -- and if it's badly pitted, I'll wet sand it back and use the primer to fill the pits. I prefer not to use the dark brown zinc oxide primer -- seems to want to slip and peel -- instead I use grey Rustoleum, which now has some anti-rust stuff in it. Then I spray with spray paint, several light coats, and after it dries good, shoot it with a few coats of clear to harden the spray paint... No secrets, just time consuming... Hope it helps! Kent

Kent..... It looks great..! Can't tell it was painted with a spray can. You must have taken your time. Intending on using a tractor is my "excuse" not to repaint mine. I know if I repaint them, I'll feel guilty if I don't spend the time to keep them clean. John..... I have two tricks I use when painting wheels. 1) smear vaseline on the tires. The overspray will wipe off and vaseline won't attack rubber. 2) Make a loop from about 4"-6" wide sheet metal to shield the tire. Wrap the metal tightly around the wheel and hold it snug with vise grips, screws, or pop rivets.

very good work kent!!! it looks professional quality. are those new air cleaner decals? i am envious of the hyd. lift and the high/lo. a suggestion that might be good is to give it a good wax coat before you put it to work. it will help protect the paint. if you don't mind me asking, how much did the seat cost and where did you get it? [A href='http://chadmb.tripod.com']http://chadmb.tripod.com[/a]

Kent, Ditto on all the compliments from the other members. I have a new Regent but the picture of your tractor and this site is starting to get me thinking about restoring an old one some day. Are you planning on atending the New England outing in CT on October 8th? If you are coming are you going to bring any of your tractors?

Kent, You make me realize how much work I'll have if I ever decide to restore any of my collection to LIKE-NEW condition. One of mine is a late-style B-10. Although all of my tractors have original paint and decals - they still don't look bad when all cleaned up. I do have 7 of the 9 in running order though. Keep up the good work, as we all need a fellow like yourself to make it easy for the rest of us to communicate our hobby and meet new friends. I'm sure I can take the liberty to speak for everyone in saying THANK YOU KENT!!!! Marion W. Kerr / Perrysburg, Oh.

FINE lookin piece Kent, once the first scratch happens when working one of these the to-nice-use thing softens. When I paint rims I used gun greese on the rubber then place a thin piece of cardboard with a hole cut in the size of the rim over it.. Cutting the hole was very simple as I hang sheet rock for dollars when I'm hungrey enough and have in my tool box a hole cutter, which is an adjustable compass with a roller cutting edge that when used less than mine has been cuts a very clean, smooth inside circle. Works for makin gaskets also. I think they are around 15 bucks and belong in everyones tool chest who enjoys these neat ole machines. MPH

Kent, What else can I say that hasn't been said ! It looks wonderful. I hope you are planning to go to the Conn. show and bring it with you. Now you make me wonder ? Do I continue on the path I am going now to get all the mechanical stuff working properly and deal with cosmeics later or do like you did ? With intentions of bringing my B-210 to Conn. I might just try to do the mechanical stuff for now. Time permitting maybe some paint. Your machine does look real nice, great job, it is certainly motivational. I hope to meet you and see your tractor in Conn.. Al