Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

REAR LIFT

JJ MARSHALL

The earlier tractors used a rod and the later tractors used a cable. The rod was great for applying down pressure. I don't think you can retro-fit a rod on the later tractors. Rick........

quote:
Originally posted by RickS
The earlier tractors used a rod and the later tractors used a cable. The rod was great for applying down pressure. I don't think you can retro-fit a rod on the later tractors. Rick........
Rick I converted mined to a rod and chain as my rod got bent so many times that I made three spares so I would have one handy. If you hit a rock wrong tilling the rod was prime candidate for bending.:D

quote:
Bob, If your tractor started out with a rod wn't that make it an early tractor? Rick.......
I have a 3112H with hydraulic lift.

quote:
Originally posted by 1Litre
On older chassis that used the rod, did the rear hitch lower the attachment when the manual lever was pulled back?
Yep, pull back on the lever, front goes up, center and rear go down and vice versa. When tilling with a solid rod tractor with manual lift, put a bolt or pin in one of the rear holes in the lift quadrant so the handle cannot come all the way back to the lock position, thus you have "float" down pressure is not recommended on a tiller On a solid rod tractor with hydraulic lift, after the tiller sinks in you should lock your lift into float position. However even at that, a large rock may still jump the tiller enough to bend the rod a bit as the float might not let the tiller up fast enough. If you lock your tiller down, or use down pressure, if the tiller hits hard ground, you can go for a ride at tiller tine speed. the tiller will lift the wheels enough to push them.

quote:
There were also a couple models in between with a rod for lift, but it had 2 loops in the middle for float:O

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
quote:
There were also a couple models in between with a rod for lift, but it had 2 loops in the middle for float:O
Yes, these were the last of the "flat hood" FDTs, the late-3112/3212 and late-B-112/B-212 vintage machines, also with the corresponding 10HP models. I think that hydraulic lift was becoming so common that they simply put the rod/chain combo on all of them... I had John Steele (ala Johnny Bucket fame) make me a 9/16" (vice standard 1/2") hardened steel lift rod for it, after bending a couple of the 1/2" cold-roll steel ones in my rocky NE garden. You have to be careful when you use the hydraulic lift to force the tiller into the ground, but I find it very useful at the beginning of a pass, otherwise the tiller won't reach full tilling depth until you've travelled a few feet. I slowly push it into the ground, with my foot of the brake and my left hand on the controls, then release the clutch (or engage the hydro) and put it in float position.