Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

High Low repair?

Chris727

I recently acquired a two-speed pulley for a large-frame FDT through some trading. I just started looking it over and it seems I am missing the inserts for the pivot bushings. The pivot forks (?) themselves are very worn. There is a collar with two set screws that goes on the transmission shaft and its missing. Here are some pictures of some wear:

Worn pivots:

I have not disassembled the unit and expect that the internals will be fairly worn too. Everything I need is now NLA through Simplicity.

Chris, There have been several entries in the forums, about parts for these Hi-Lo pulleys. The bushing inserts have been made out of nylon, delran, and any other self lubricating material. The tough items are the bushing holders. Stop-nuts are another show stopper. I'll have to look at the manual for the #348 Two-speed Pulley. The special-nuts (6) alternate in thickness. If you don't have a copy of this manual PM your email and I'll send a scanned copy of the installation/IPL manual I have.

Chris DeLapp ( bowhunt4life ) up in Wisconsin was involved with some of the forum discussions; focused on re-manufacturing parts for the #348 pulley. He may have some resources for parts. Also check the onsite resource Hi Lo Restoration for Small Frame Tractors ( The main difference is large frames run on a horizontal shaft, while small frames run on a vertical shaft.) There may be comparable parts ( I never investigated this)

I was able to get a local fab shop to make me new parts for reasonable prices, shift rod and bracket $80 for the finished parts. I used Delran and had the fab shop make me new pivots as back ups to my originals at $20 a pair.

I have three of these left as the production run is complete. other members here have dibs on the rest.

They are Delrin. Granted, they are not correct for the large frame Hi Lo, but they are the same size and will work for your application. Also, I had a drawing made up, look here, http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109136&whichpage=2 I am looking for more accurate dimensions on these. My patterns are MIA as of right now. Hmmm, I wonder how well a metal set with Delrin inserts will work in a small frame Hi Lo.

Thank you, I do have the manual. It sounds like the pivot parts won't be much of a problem to find. How about the center hub in my first two pics? Is the hole supposed to have a set screw or is it an access hole? Its so worn it would never hold one now. Also does anyone have a good picture of the set collar that goes onto the transmission input shaft? Thanks again! Chris

Chris, the hole is an access hole for the set screw on the missing collar to pass through. I would think a suitable collar could be found through McMaster or someplace similar, given the proper ID. If need be, you could even drill and tap a hole for the setscrew. Without that, you cannot shift ranges. http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-collars/=g9efiu I personlly prefer the pivots like Tim has shown. You can use them much longer than an insert replacement, as you never run into metal to metal wear. I've also noticed that they tend to wear faster on one side than the other (can't remember which), and so, when they start to get thin, I plan to flip them over and keep on going.

I would think that the wear in the pulley should be ok with a key put in and a new collar with a set screw. Use a collar that hs 2 set screws so you can tighten the collar opposite side of the hol and you should be good to go.

I looked it over again. I believe all of the special nuts are OK. I think I will mainly need pivots and might get some from Tim if he makes more. I found a collar from an old broadmoor pivot pin and it appears to be the correct size to fit over this hub. I might replace the hub (spider gear hub?) if I can get an NOS one for the right price.

Todd is correct, the collar should have two set screws. The ones on my hi-lo units for small frame tractors has two set screws at 90 degrees to each other. One goes thru the hole to lock onto the shaft, the other holds it all in place till it is locked down. Steve

• 3 months later...
I'm new to the site but have been around these tractors a while I just picked up a B110 over the weekend it has the high low pulley and all was good when i test drove it and looked it over, BUT some how on my way home the two pivots fell out and disapeared does any body make the metal part of the pivot i think thats the term (the part thats in the 4th picture) or know where i could get 2 sets.

quote:
Originally posted by travishawk
I'm new to the site but have been around these tractors a while I just picked up a B110 over the weekend it has the high low pulley and all was good when i test drove it and looked it over, BUT some how on my way home the two pivots fell out and disapeared does any body make the metal part of the pivot i think thats the term (the part thats in the 4th picture) or know where i could get 2 sets.
That is a bummer you lost yours. i had a buddys machine shop make some up them for me .

The pivots are still available according to Jack's at a price of $23.70 each. Any of the pivots that I had were made of aluminum and I am looking into the cost of getting some reproductions made of both the pivots and the replaceable insert. I am also trying to get a few other items reproduced and hope to have some items for sale in the near future. Dan

I quit using the metal pivots and converted to the full size nylon or delrin pivots. I didn't care for the metal to metal contact that resulted so soon after replacing the inserts. The oem pivots I do have are terribly worn and the inserts last half as long as the full size replacement pivots. What is the reason or benefit for the aluminum pivots?

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109136 Check my article Travis. Again, this is for the old small frame tractors, but the operating concept is the same.

I think the reason for aluminum pivots was so they would be the softer metal and they would wear instead of the hi/low case itself. Has anyone else had pivots made from aluminum? Dan

Travis, The pivots are captured between their frame and the disc that they shift. No retainers are needed. Dan, There was a small, plastic insert in the aluminum pivots. You would need some soft metal like brass, or copper, or even soft aluminum if you wanted a metal to metal design.