Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
B110guy

B110 engine questions

B110guy
Was nice out so I decided to play with my B110 engine. Wound up pullng the thing and fixing some other issues. I have a couple of questions, though. My coil looks pretty rough. Mice have chewed the insulation off of the smaller wires and it is very rusty. Tried taking pictures with my phone but they didn't turn out well enough to post. It ran fine before I started on my carb rebuild so I'm not sure if I should replace it or not. Second question. The plate that goes behind the intake manifold...I only see a gasket between the manifold and that plate. Is the plate to block a steel on steel seal? The parts book doesn't show anything, just making sure. B110guy

timflury
Welcome, First. You have two choices for a new coil. One is to replace it with OEM and retain the points. You mention it ran fine. Second. Order a 398811 Magnetron upgrade coil and send the flywheel off to Briggs to have it repolarized. Look at the link, it has instructions as to the shipping address should you decide to do this.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=110680 My opinion,,,,,, if it ran fine, just get an original coil. On the gasket. There should be a gasket there. If none, then I would be concerned about a vacuum leak. If there are none in the kit, then cut one out of a paper grocery bag.

Willy
If it was running before you tore it down,I would just replace the small wire. Most of them have a wire spade on the back of the coil. If it is the high tension wire, you can buy rubber electrical tape you can put on it and then cover that with regular black tape. That is if it was running before. As for the rust sand paper should take that off. Keep it simple.