Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HP on Briggs Engines ?

Vinnie_A

Am I correct in assuming the following: Briggs engine Model # is 243431 which makes it a 10 HP Briggs engine Model# is 300421 which makes it a 12 HP Thanks in advance

Yes you are correct. Had to check mine tonight that has a motor a 243431 and a 10hp. Gonna think about putting a head gasket in it.

I have a 13 Hp that is also a 30cid. Don't really know the difference between a 12 and 13 or if they are actually the same and it was called a 13 because of the Hp race that was going on between manufacturers back then.

In some cases, it is a simple as carburation and nothing more. According to 1litre, who was a Sim dealer, in one instance it was simply a matter of removing a throttle stop on the carb to go from a 15 to a 16? Why? I have no clue.

There was a class action suit against the engine manufacturers for the HP wars. I received an invitation to join the class action, as I had bought a Deere 17hp five or six years ago. I filled out the paper work, and months later, received a notice I didn't fill it out correctly:O I did more paperwork, sent it in and haven't heard squat. Someday I'll get a check in the mail for a buck two eighty, I guess, after the lawyers are done. }:)

Hi, Thanks for the previous answers on the 10 hp & 12 HP Briggs engines, I now have another question. I have a 1984 Briggs engine Model 326431 Type 258201 and Code 8408131 and the large decal on the front calls it a 10 HP. I also have an older Briggs Model 325431 Type 0126-01 and Code 7112141. Am I correct in assuming that these are both 10 Hp engines because both code numbers start with the number 32 ? Thanks

If it is a 10 Hp, the number should start with 24 12 and 13 hp should start with 30 15 and 16 Hp should start with 32 If it starts with 32, it should be either a 15 or 16 Hp. I think the 6 digit B/S numbering system is new enough that this should apply basically across the board.

If I remember correctly there was a 3414 briggs powered large frame in 73 or 74 model years. It was a premium engine with counter balancers on PTO and MAG side of engine. Any body remember this. I think it is also 32 ci. The camshaft and a little larger ventury ID can easily make more power. Sometimes they set the governed RPM a couple hundred higher and that could be 1 HP . I forgot higher compression and bigger valve diameter too.

Apples to Oranges... CID or Displacement is just the volume of the cylnder while HP is a measurement of power from the engine. as stated there are ALOT of variables that effect horsepower ie; -compression ratio -fuel (amount & type) -RPM's when HP measurement is taken (this is a biggie) -muffler type -valves, air intake, spark timing, etc.... I still look at HP as a good (approx.) rating

Interesting thread. Just a curious question: I have a 3310 and 7116. 10 and 16 HP respectively. The engines appear identical on the outside, and I believe you could swap them easily. Is the only difference between the 10, 12, 14, and 16 HP, the cylinder bore?

quote:
Originally posted by JohnFornaro
Interesting thread. Just a curious question: I have a 3310 and 7116. 10 and 16 HP respectively. The engines appear identical on the outside, and I believe you could swap them easily. Is the only difference between the 10, 12, 14, and 16 HP, the cylinder bore?
Ten thru sixteen engine have envelope measurements and will basically bolt in place of one or another. On the 30 CID engine, the synchro - balance cover is on the shaft side and on the 32 CID it is on the flywheel side with some exceptions. I swapped a 10 HP engine to a 12 HP engine and I had to nibble away at the grill support to make it fit.

I have one of the exceptions. A 32 CID, which I think is rated 14hp, with the balance cover on the PTO end. It has the humped fins. I have owned this tractor for many years, used it a lot, but have never had the head off. It is a great, dependable engine which is in my B-112 as a re-power.

Here we go again, After all of the responses on the HP on Briggs engines and after listing ,re listing and changing the HP 3 times on E bay I have about given up. I just re listed a Briggs engine Model 325431 as a 16 HP and 4 hours later here is the newest response saying: The 325431 is a 15 HP and the 326431 is a 16 HP. I have 7 more of these to get rid of so I hope I finally have all of the correct info. Again thanks in advance for all your help!!!