Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

hardest fix yet on sovereign

hotrodtractor

it's sad that these sovereign are so simple to work on that the hardest thing for me so far was getting a sezed power steering wheel off the splined shaft had to have a good 3hrs into it. I beat on it, lubed her up good, pri bar'd, and even talked dirty to her and still no way it was coming off in one piece. Finally used some chain and a 3 jaw puller and got it off. But yup you called it the gear stuck to the shaft and just came out the plastic wheel. At least I could get the dash cover off now to fix the throttle cable, and hammered the wheel back on the gear. I will hunt around for another wheel I see jacks has new ones for a goof $70 or so and may just cut off that gear when I source the new wheel. Long and short I spend the following day pulling all my steering wheels off and coating them with anti seize^

I tried taking mine off once when doing some work under the dash. Didn't go as far as you did, just did my work while holding the dash up out of the way as best I could but I never did get that wheel off.

kevin, I had that happen on one of mine. I got the splined piece off the shaft in a press and drove it back into the steering wheel and used epoxy tohold it in place.

Question for RayS or anyone else with ideas. I am tearing down a Sunstar to salvage the power steering. I really would like to get the steering wheel off intact since I don't know where I may be using the power steering in the future. Of course the nut is heavily rusted under the trim cap. I am soaking it with the ST special formula 50/50 acetone/ATF rust buster. You really can't heat the steel bushing that is molded into the steering wheel. I am sure the nut will come right off with the impact wrench but then??? Any tips on how to proceed???? Puller setups that work best??? Thanks, John U

I don't know what a Sunstar steering wheel is set up like, but as with most you should be able to get a bearing splitter under it. After that put the side bolts with a puller screw on it. tighten it up then hit the center bolt on the puller with a hammer. Then tighten again and hit it again. Mel

I used a bearing seperator like in the link below. I have three of the power steering units. It removed two of the wheels without pulling the splined metal pieces out of the wheel. The other one did the same as Kevins. I took it to work and pressed it off the shaft and epoxy it back in. Problem is your pulling on the plastic and I haven`t found anything that will fit up inside of the under side of the steering wheel that will pull on the metal portion. Thought about a split shaft collar and pulling against that, but that is as far as I got. http://www.harborfreight.com/large-bearing-separator-3979.html

Here is a parts diagram.

Patience is the key to getting these off without damaging the wheel. Here I have a bearing separator under the wheel with a two jaw puller. Tighten the puller, tap with dead blow hammer, lots of penetrating oil, repeat the process as many times as necessary.