Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

need wiring help

JohnSw

I,m installing a 16hp brigs in my 3415h the original 15hp broke a rod.My question is the old 15hp had a starter generator and the 16hp has the ring gear starter with breakerless ignition.What must be changed or added to make it work in reguards with the wiring.If anybody has done this change over i would like to hear from you Thank You.

The big wire that used to go to the generator will now have to be replaced with a longer one to go to the starter. You will either have one or two charging wires on the new engine - if two and you have the rectangular harness connector one is AC (white) for lights and the other DC (red) for charging (goes to soleniod battery side). The ground shutoff wire that went to the points previously should reconnect in the same area for the Magnetron. Tape or remove the old regulator/generator wires.

The starter/generator has a regulator setup. The 16hp has an alternator and will require a rectifer which should be available from a Briggs dealer or maybe your local mower repairman. He should also have a wiring diagram or part no.270962 which is a repair manual with all the info you should need. Hope this helps. GK