Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Buickgsman

side to side slop in BGB

Buickgsman
On the B12 I am finding that the BGB is making a little noise. The input shaft doesnt really have any slop but the pto shaft does.. side to side. I just checked the shims and I added one but the shaft still moves side to side and allows the gear to slip which i want to avoid. What controls the side to side other than the shims? Thanks Bob

1Litre
The retaining rings on the shaft might be out of the groove from prior repair used them over and they where stretched out . They must hug the shaft in their grooves firmly to work properly. If the gears are not meshed they may be worn beyond shimming back to work. If the ball bearing is on its way out you will not be able to shim that problem away either. The seal is a steel shell with the rubber bonded on . Maybe the bearing was spinning in the bore and has worn some of the shell away.

Buickgsman
I took off the right side plate and added a shim to preload the bearing and that took out the slop but like Jim said its too late and she still grinds. Its a bit of a bummer but oh well. I have a spare BGB that has no slop i can redo but no rush I'm not going to use the tractor. Its next in line for restoration after the Landlord. I was just hoping the tractor would be ready to rip around the yard if I felt like it. The motor runs good but does smoke a little when throttled but all the other stuff is nice and solid. Thanks! Bob