Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 16hp $?

briggs9498

So I have been looking for a donor engine for my 7010. I ran across a 70s 16hp for sale but the buyer wants $75 and seems pretty firm. I only want to give $50 for it but am I crazy? It is missing the carb and starter/generator so its going to be sight unseen and as is. Seller also stated that it smoked a little upon start up. Now I've ran across this a couple of times and most of the time is was worn piston/rings and not because the carb was adjusted too rich. Just wanted insight on if its worth $75 or should I stand strong at $50. Thanks, Fred.

Take a rope with you and try to spin engine. If flywheel rocks back and forth after after starting attempt, compression should be sufficient, according to Briggs. Then $75.00 could be considered a real steal. If owner balks , back away.

The carb and S/G are half the value. If it was complete and running I'd pay up to $200, missing the carb and S/G though I wouldn't go a hundred unless I really needed it. $75 seems about right to me. You never know though untill you have it running (or apart) what you have though, unless you know the seller well. Be nice to get it for $50. :D Two cents worth

I guess I'll end up giving $75 if need be. I'm desperate now to fix up the 7010 somehow. So I'll try to get this and throw a new piston and rings in it just like I did in my 16hp that's in my 7016. That 16 horse in the 7016 really has me hooked. I don't know how I lived with all the ten horses in the past. It is by far my favorite engine takes everything I throw at it and never skips a beat. Its amazing the shear power and torque inside the 16s :).

Thanks for the advice guys I'll let you all know how it works out in the next few days. I'm crossing my fingers that nobody gets it before I can.

Well I was bidding on it on Ebay and it had a few days left and the seller just retracted the item from auction. ngr2 One of the reasons I hate ebay.