Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

T12 in Half - still a no go

rfsmith1952

Got the T12 broken in half today. Never did that before, took about two hours. Got the air ratchet stuck in there on one of the BGB bolts :D}:) I picked up another back half from Nathan Gale in Indiana (it was one of Maynards' pieces) This is the same tractor that the neutral/drive lever was stuck, and the wheels were locked. I fixed that, but it did not cure the weak performance. We'll see if it goes back together as well as it came apart!

Bob and Jim, I know from experience those free tractors are money pits! You never include gas money when you tell the better half what you have spent! John U

The weak performance, I think, is that the pump is shot. I may not be correct in that assumption, and since I'm replacing all the parts back there, and not just the pump, we may never know what it was for sure. On the other hand, I was pretty deep in there recently to fix the shift shaft, so I know the gears are all good. I also found metal shavings while cleaning the hydraulic fluid reservoir. And that leads me back to the pump and/or motor. If this whole rear end replacement fixes it, great, if not, then plan B, where I leave the tractor on Jim's front porch }:) and he buys lunch.:D Next, I'm going to open up the old pump and motor and have a look. They want $850 to rebuild it and I want to know why it's so expensive. I don't know if you can get parts yet, or how much they would cost. I've also heard the story that the Vickers just needs cleaned and about 8 bucks worth of O rings from Lowe's. I'm almost ready to put it back together, but the BGB on the replacement rear is not turning the pulleys. I think I may have pulled the shaft off the key while manhandling the SOB. I'll check a diagram to see if that's it, if not, I have the original BGB and will swap. At any rate, I am learning, and other than dropping the rear on my foot yesterday, I am having fun. @John: My wife of 36 years is okay with most of this. She does not even pretend to understand it:D But will listen attentively (or she's faking it, I can't tell, she's that good) while I explain BGBs, Vickers, Voltage regulators, and Delco Remy. Of course, I primed her up for my retirement by asking her if it would be alright if I got a Harley, grew a ponytail, and wore I diamond earing. The tractors were tame after that:)

They used to make a overhaul kit for those. There was a place in MN. I think that sold the kits for $150.00. Good luck with it. My wife sees this as something that will keep me out of the bars and from buying that Harley etc.. She just let me drive to MO. to pick up another T-16H plus buy another 16hp Briggs last year. Shw said if I got a Harley I wouldn't be home to mow, clean, cook etc. Retirement is not as much free time as I thought.

quote:
Originally posted by rfsmith1952
The weak performance, I think, is that the pump is shot. I may not be correct in that assumption, and since I'm replacing all the parts back there, and not just the pump, we may never know what it was for sure. On the other hand, I was pretty deep in there recently to fix the shift shaft, so I know the gears are all good. I also found metal shavings while cleaning the hydraulic fluid reservoir. And that leads me back to the pump and/or motor. If this whole rear end replacement fixes it, great, if not, then plan B, where I leave the tractor on Jim's front porch }:) and he buys lunch.:D Next, I'm going to open up the old pump and motor and have a look. They want $850 to rebuild it and I want to know why it's so expensive. I don't know if you can get parts yet, or how much they would cost. I've also heard the story that the Vickers just needs cleaned and about 8 bucks worth of O rings from Lowe's. I'm almost ready to put it back together, but the BGB on the replacement rear is not turning the pulleys. I think I may have pulled the shaft off the key while manhandling the SOB. I'll check a diagram to see if that's it, if not, I have the original BGB and will swap. At any rate, I am learning, and other than dropping the rear on my foot yesterday, I am having fun. @John: My wife of 36 years is okay with most of this. She does not even pretend to understand it:D But will listen attentively (or she's faking it, I can't tell, she's that good) while I explain BGBs, Vickers, Voltage regulators, and Delco Remy. Of course, I primed her up for my retirement by asking her if it would be alright if I got a Harley, grew a ponytail, and wore I diamond earing. The tractors were tame after that:)
Bob, I didn't even have to use the Harley threat. A guy I worked with from day one, did all that you mentioned, plus moved his wife to the Villages in Florida! My wife is very happy to see me chasing after tractors.

Bob, You don't need to bring the tractor. Lunch is always available. But, if you must bring it, please park it near my barn so Audrey will think it's one of my previous acquisitions. I had a terrible time explaining my Homie's arrival. I had always brought home Yellow A/C's which all looked alike, so the blue one stuck out like the proverbial sore thumb. I sure hope Maynard's Vickers is a good one. John, You are certainly right about the gas money. This year will be worse.

Got the BGB right again, I had pulled the shaft off the key. Glad I saw it before I put everything back. Might get it done tomorrow8D

Good job Bob...sounds like its going well I was going to suggest that its a good time to pop in a new BGB front seal, but you got it back together already. I had to tear one of mine down after the resto to do that 8C anyway good luck dOd

Well, it still doesn't work. I think the pump and motor is working properly, and off the ground the wheels move forward and back. On the ground, the wheels don't move and the axle tubes move forward and reverse. I guess they got moved off their keys during transit. @Greg - leaks almost everywhere. I think I'll take up stamp collecting.....:(

Bob, with the wheels off the ground, is there any side to side play in them? Ie. can you move the wheels in and out a bit? If the collar on the left axle loosens up, the entire unit can slide to the right so the differential gears don't mesh properly. If that is the rear from Maynards tractor that I took out to Nathan, It bugs me that it doesn't work. It worked here, I used that tractor to load the heavy duty tiller. It backed up the ramps fine with that huge tiller on it. Gotta be something fairly simple.

Bob, don"t give up now. It sounds like a key could be missing from the differential. If the outer axle tube turns,n it almost has to be the differential. If you haven't had one apart they are an interesting mechanism. As our late friend Roy would have said, carry on! John U

Dan, don't be concerned. I'm sure it's something I did or did not do. Besides, I know you and Nathan are good guys, so don't let it bother you. It is what it is, and as JimDK taught me somewhile ago: "Don't look back." John, I took the dif apart on the original[img]/club2//attach/UCD/censored.gif[/img]end, they are a piece of work. Ended up tacking the case back together with a welder to get the bolts in.:D I'll get back out there later today and see what's what.

Okay, better, but still a no go. The axle collar was missing from the right side rear axle. This allowed the Hub assembly to move out away from the differential, thus disengaging both rear wheels. I had seen the collar laying around and dutifully put it with the rear end I had just removed. Never noticed both collars were still on the old one. :D Ahh, self-inflicted. I get it back together, still up on blocks, start it up to adjust the linkage, so that neutral is neutral, and the drive shaft flange up on the BGB lets go. I tighten the set screw up and start it again, get my adjustments done, and shut it down. Reinstall the wheels, seatpan, etc and let the tractor down. I hop on, start it up, throw the lever forward....and.....nothing. I forgot to put the rear drive neutral lever back in drive. :D ahhh, self-inflicted. I shut down, get off, put the lever in drive and the lock on and climb back on. Maiden voyage, now...here we go..start, half throttle, forward/reverse lever in neutral, push forward a little.....and......wait for it....the tractor moves forward about 2 feet and drive shaft flange on the BGB lets go again. I'm going for a nap....|)

@Dan and Nathan: It's not the Vickers. When it did move, it threw me back in the seat! Plenty of power there. It's me, I'm not much of a tractor mechanic. But I'll get it.

Thanks Bill. it took almost a year to go through it. I do like the hydro, except I keep going for the brake pedal. You might say that's a good thing, but I haven't put the brake band back on yet:D I'll button it up tomorrow.