Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sierradriver

728 Rear rims

sierradriver
Well broke 2 different rims trying to get off of the axle. Heated cherry red used a porter power and a bfh and chisel, no go. How do you guys get these buggers off. Needed to get off to paint rest of the tractor. 728 with pin shaft rims. Thanks in advance.

TomSchmit
The axle tube on these rims are open on the outside, so you can make a "wheel puller" using long bolts thru the two wheel weight mounting holes. Use a flat bar of steel, drill 2 holes as far apart as the wheel weight mounting holes, then use a steel rod down the axle tube opening from the outside. This has always worked for me! Tom

timflury
I made a puller. I'll put up some photos when I'm at home.

Now this was a few days after I was heating, spraying and even using candle wax. I made the puller and drilled out the weight holes to 3/8". I spent about an hour and a half on each rim.

D10-Allis
Reading This made me think of the Video someone posted on this website before. I hope you didn't have the tire on the rim when you heated to Cherry Red. Everyone needs to watch this video...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBUVzgCHHuA Found it.... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=113535&SearchTerms=tire,explosion

bud119195
If they dont come off I have taken a grinder and cut a slot down the side of the rim and took a chisle and spread the rim apart,but obviously you would have to find new rims.If it comes down to cutting the rims let me know I have some

GrincheyOne
When I was getting ready to change the tires on my 4212 (18x8.50x8)s, I used the gear puller method, via the weight mounting holes. Used two eye-bolts to get a grip with the puller. A little prep spray of PB also helps. On these smaller tractors take care the spacer tubes over the axles are of different length (keep track). These rear rims are keyed, so a careful tap on the key with a nail set can aide the process, specially if you already have tension on with the gear puller. Wayne

Brettw
I don't believe the rears on a 728 are keyed, I thought it was simply a through bolt, no? I had to add a collar to my 728 rims, the thru bolt became sloppy and the wheels were "loose". I didn't need nearly as many cuss words as I'll bet you did to get them off.:D