Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 720 front snow thrower u-joint.

HerbP

Finally got to blow snow this weekend, after replacing the ring gear and then getting a new governor spring... But I have two issues. Issue number 1: The throttle lever now creeps down towards idle from full throttle... I had to override it with a bungee cord to the front of the hood... It didn't used to do that... Issue number 2: When I bought the snowthrower attachment, the driveshaft that came with it did not have a collar over the 3 captive BB's to lock the u-joint onto the PTO shaft. I asked the PO about that and he said "oh, it's never had that for as long as I've owned it. Never been a problem." ... Well, I got down the driveway and back up again, and heard a terrible grinding noise and that, as they say, was that... The u-joint has slid off the PTO shaft, churned the splines a little bit and rotated to a stop... I think I've managed to file the splines mostly flat so it should fit back on the shaft, but I still don't have a lock collar... My thought is that I can use a hose clamp or two (for balance) to squeeze the BB's into the groove... This seems like asking for trouble, though... Has anyone else come up with a creative fix for a missing lock collar?

Hi Your throttle problem can be fixed by adjusting the nut that attaches the throttle lever. You will have a hard time getting to it though, I had to remove my steering wheel and cover plate to get to it. I have a Sovereign, if you look at the parts list it should show you a tension washer next to the nut. Hope this helps. Can't help with the u-joint, sorry

Do not know for sure but you may try using the collar from the rear PTO. Do not know if it is the same or not. OEM collar no longer available. Next option would be to replace end with new, Weasler part # 105-0615 Driveline of Fresno lists having 2 on hand, price is $28.96 I bought the components from them to build 1/2 of pto shaft for a tiller several years ago. Their service is excellent. StanD

PurplePiston: Thanks. I'd have not thought of looking up there but I did have the throttle lever apart (as well as the choke) to clean them; so I probably misadjusted that nut. StanD: That's exactly what I was hoping for... I see my local driveline shop carries Weasler and I'm glad it's an off the shelf part... Thank you _very_ much.