Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
fpappal

725 Trans Reassembly Ques with PICS

fpappal
I am putting my transmission back together and I notice to issues. 1. The gear that I am pointing to in the first picture is ever so slightly rubbing on the gear beneath it. Is that normal? I have one washer underneath it which is what I found when I took it apart. The shaft is called the "second intermediate gear shaft". The gear it is rubbing on is resting on a snap ring and cannot go any lower. I have a service manual for a similar machine and it talks about fiber washers, but this transmission did not have any when I disassembled it. 2. The second picture shows my pencil pointing to a gear on the "input shaft assembly". In this position it is only meshing with the other gear a little less then half way. Should these two gears be totally in line with each other or is this normal to have them mesh like this? I took this transmission apart a couple months ago and at the time I was very careful to keep track of all my washers. It is very possible that one went missing but I am pretty sure I have them all. Any suggestions? Is there an actual 725 service manual available? Thanks

steve-wis
If you download the service manual for your tractor there will be a transmission tear-down section in it. I did a three speed a while back to put into a 616 yeoman that I got in a box in pcs. I noticed that the washers are not all the same, there are flat ones, and then ones that are a bit thicker and have a step on the face. The manual shows which goes where, maybe you got them turned around? I did that on my first assembly attempt. As far as the gears in pic 2, if they are all in the right places, they might pull a bit closer together when the case is dropped over the ends of the shafts. I don't remember if there was that much room between them or not. The book is a great help, download it if you don't have it. You can enter the mfg. number of the tractor in the box on the home page of the site here and it will slow you what is available for books. Steve

midnightpumpkin
This link, courtesy of RayS, is the Bible for working on these tractors. [url]http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=ifDDFO9jwJ9iGclRzOfEP5NRQpe[/url] If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't right. Good luck, these tranny's are not hard to work on if you take your time. john u

fpappal
ok thanks. I did download that manual when I was taking it apart. I only found one washer that actually has a step, all the others are pretty similar except for diameter. Maybe I am just being overly cautious because I do not want to take this apart ever again!!