Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblowers in the Midwest

1Litre

Well I just watched Tom Skilling here on WGN 9 in Northern Ill. He thinks we will get a real snowfall here for the first time this winter. Up to 9 in depending where you are. I have a garage full of snow removal equipment and some that has not even hit a flake this year. Boring winter so far. I look forward to this one. So fire em up! Tweek the carbs . Check the belts . We have the tools to hit this storm hard when it gets here.

I hope he's right! I'm itching to get out my blower too here in Wheaton.
quote:
Originally posted by 1Litre
Well I just watched Tom Skilling here on WGN 9 in Northern Ill. He thinks we will get a real snowfall here for the first time this winter. Up to 9 in depending where you are. I have a garage full of snow removal equipment and some that has not even hit a flake this year. Boring winter so far. I look forward to this one. So fire em up! Tweek the carbs . Check the belts . We have the tools to hit this storm hard when it gets here.

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
I'm too far south of I 80. Probably wont get much of any snow here, not that I will miss it:D
As of this writing, it appears that you are in for something as the storm is working its way from the northwest.

This morning's drive was a bear...freezing fog which is about the worst to drive in, on top of a half inch or so of crusty icy crud. They're saying 6" tonite here, depending on how quickly the rain changes over to snow. Gonna be the good, wet heavy stuff. It'll be flying out of the single stages like cottage cheese. ;) Lake effect kicks in after that, so they say another 3-6 Friday nite. Tough to tell...if the wind blows this way or that, we could get an inch or we could get 10. Either way, I'll get to plow :D

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
I'm too far south of I 80. Probably wont get much of any snow here, not that I will miss it:D
As of this writing, it appears that you are in for something as the storm is working its way from the northwest.
10:45 AM CST, it looks like Moline Il area is getting hit by thunder storms and the storm is shifting to the northeast, lookout Chicago.:D

I'm in LaPorte county...prime "lake effect" snow zone usually...I hope, I want at least 1 good blizzard this year. I'm all stocked up on food, gasoline, house generator ready...lets GO!crk8

Weather gods are pointing the bullseye a bit closer to us here....now calling for 7-10" tonite, and lake effect of 3-6" tomorrow, 2-4" more tomorrow nite. Fingers crossed. It should start right about the time it gets cold enough for snow vs rain. Going to be really heavy wet stuff.

Yup...the first heavy stuff for my area this winter. Nothin but some fluff so far. Then, Sunday will be 40 and sunny...mid 40's after that. Really wouldn't even have to clear the drive. It will melt away in 48 hrs. sm00

SWEET I can't wait hope we get a huge dumping. I want to really put the berco 2 satge to the test with the deep stuff. I't been a sad year I am all dressed up and no where to go.. so to speak Even better the electric chute + deflector kit and drift cutters just came in.

First wave hit 4:30 with some of the biggest flakes I ever seen. 3/4" on the ground. Just spritzen little flakes now. We will see what happens. Our man Skilling said Thunder Snow could form. Wow! Be safe out there all. PS pickup the newspapers from the drive before it is to late. Ken

quote:
Originally posted by Dark
we get nothing again missed us by ...that much! :O
I caught the Get Smart reference there 99. Does that mean I'm showing my age?

Chief: Well, I'm sorry to disturb you in the middle of the night, but we're facing a terrible crisis, the possible destruction of the entire world. Maxwell Smart: Well couldn't it have waited until morning? # 99: What happened Chief? Chief: KAOS has a nuclear bomb. Maxwell Smart: Doesn't everybody? yea back when TV was fun to watch :D

quote:
Originally posted by Dark
Chief: Well, I'm sorry to disturb you in the middle of the night, but we're facing a terrible crisis, the possible destruction of the entire world. Maxwell Smart: Well couldn't it have waited until morning? # 99: What happened Chief? Chief: KAOS has a nuclear bomb. Maxwell Smart: Doesn't everybody? yea back when TV was fun to watch :D
Velly interething heh, heh, heh.:D:D----Artie Johnson, Laugh In.

I got a good 4" and yes wet. Tried single stage and it was weird it was pushing snow almost like a dozer. It threw about 10 feet if I went fast and rammed it. I gave her a good 25 min but then said to my self screw this. My drive is 50 feet wide and was throwing several times to clear. Then busted out the 2 stage berco and I can not even describe in words how well it threw a good 60feet, but it was wet so I had to slow down a bit. If I ran full hydro tilt the 31hp (50lb ft) would bog too much. In fact I stalled engine once when I was pushing it to it's limits. The extra thowing distance with wet did take some power. I am just shocked how different the drive needs are between the two. Single you need to go fast as keep auger full or it trickles out. Berco 2 stage steady speed seems to work best.