Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

triad

yukon

bought a soverign with a triad engine and its still running has 853 hrs on the hour meter dont know if its original hour meter what do you guys think about oil. im leaning towards synthic to lube the cyclinder walls would like to keep it running for a long time. heres a 2 pics of the tractor.

I use synthetic in every engine, gear box, and transmission I own, be it on a tractor or automobile. I guess I have drunk the Amsoil cool aid, but it's what I use exclusively. I would use this oil [url][/url]http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ase.aspx . I would also use this oil filter [url][/url]http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=EA15K51-EA on your engine. This filter is just a little longer than the Kohler oil filter, but there is no issue with space on the Triad engine. You'll just need to add a little more oil to fill the crankcase. Given the cost of a good quality regular oil today, I see no reason to use anything but synthetic. You can use this premium quality oil and filter for about $24 per year if you know somebody who is a dealer or preferred customer or just order at full retail price for about $30. Not really too bad of a price for one of the best oils you can buy. (I am not a dealer, just a satisfied customer.) I also have a newer Sovereign that had the Triad engine in it. I found the Triad to be quiet, efficient, and powerful. I was perfectly pleased with it. However, given its reputation and the fact that Kohler has discontinued even common repair parts like a fuel pump for the Triad, I decided to sell it and replace it with a Command in one of Al Eden's kits.

I forgot to mention this, but my understanding is that a couple of other things to keep the Triad going are to religiously maintain the air filter (there have been some modifications discussed about this on the site if you search) and to keep the cooling fins free of debris.

I only know of the Triad from what I have read and they can be trouble waiting to happen - but, I think I also read that after a goodly number of hours, you may not have problems as sometimes they can expire early in life - again, I'm kind of speaking third party here. I also read about the air cleaner mod, but can't remember where - most likely on this forum. I don't know what the knowledge base is with respect to the Triad engine as I've only known them to be on Simplicity tractors. FWIW, I've got another brand tractor with a 20hp Onan and those things can be a trial to own too. Expensive parts and if the valve seats come out, most consider the engine cooked. I said that to say this - you might get another 800 hours out of your engine (like my Onan) or it might crap-out tomorrow. Nice looking tractor you got there. Bill

Keep the air filter clean and below is an excellent post to consider. Probably could be picked up on ebay. If it has that many hours then someone has maintained it well. By the way nice tractor! http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=93690

I have that kit and I need to install it. I also have changed to synthetic oil. I pray that the Triturd...er... Triad keeps on...keeping on (fingers crossed). jh