Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Questions on a Briggs 23D

littlemarv

So, I was going to get this B-10 running and use it a bit before going through it completely, but when I cranked it over chaff and mouse house came flying out of everywhere. I decided to pull the motor and give it an inspection before I wreck something....

Good thing I did.

Much better.

Looks pretty good up top, I was expecting much worse.

After a little cleaning I discovered the piston has 0.010 stamped in the top. Does anyone know what the marks are around the exhaust valve? Looks like someone peened it with a punch?? At any rate, here are the points and condenser

and the coil

The points cover held the water IN nicely, and the plug wire insulation must have been tasty to a rodent. Can I get a coil for this engine? The wire is intact so I'm thinking its O.K. for use? But the points and condenser gotta go. I was going to try a Mega Fire II from Jacks. Some one also told me to throw away the coil and put a Magnatron on it for $60. Don't you have to repolarize the flywheel for that? In summary, 1. Whats the best, most economical way for me to restore the ignition on this motor? 2. Can you disassemble the breather to clean it? Its not leaking so I don't think I should disturb it. Its a: 23d 012902 27743 Thanks to anybody who can help me!

Without a doubt, the condenser needs to be replaced. The points can be cleaned up (?). Without going to a magnatron, you could install an auto coil ($29 OEM) and a little wiring. Did it on my 10HP 2110 Landlord. As soon as it warms up I will be pulling the blown engine on my Big Ten. I also will be pulling the engine on my Landlord soon. May have a salvageable coil out of one of them. Both blocks are planned to go on sale. This is how the Landlord looks presently...LOADED WITH CRITTER CLUTTER

I have no idea how either coil is going to look until I pull the shrouds/flywheels. I'll PM some shots of repairs I did on my 4212. Wayne

Ryan, If it were mine, I would replace the points and condenser, and install an external coil from a single cylinder Kohler. You have to change the ignition switch to one that will provide power to the coil. The engine will start easier, and all around run better with this setup. Kohler coils are on e-bay all the time at reasonable prices. John U

Here is a page from the Briggs and Stratton repair manual that probably will answer your question about the valve. Obviously, someone has been through this engine in the past.

With the exception of the "Magna-Matic" ignition the Briggs systems are super reliable so I try to keep them original. Bought a 296834 coil for ten bucks once at an engine show and the last one on ebay for 26.00. Went through the 23D ignition with a mouse eaten coil on my Landlord in 05 and have not touched it since. Sending the flywheel in for repolorazition is good upgrade. I do upgrade the later 2 leg coils with the Briggs Ignition module as it is cheap and easy.

Wrap the coil wire with Rubberized Electrical tape and then cover it with regular elec tape. I've done two this way and the last one has deen working for at least three years. All it takes is a single wrap.