Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homelite T-12 Finally Goes

rfsmith1952

Got the T-12 running and moving well. It took almost a year, but is was educational, and worth the effort. Had some fun too! I think it is worth restoring now. Thanks to all who helped. Without your advice, this one would be in the scrap yard. Here's a minute and a half around the yard on it's first unassisted trip: http://youtu.be/2hWLBSSeLps

Dogs approved, both Petey and Wilma could sense the excitement. It is fun. You're not off the hook till it looks as nice as yours. @Willy - still don't beat a Huey ride! I had about 1000 hrs in OH-6 back in the day.

Looks good and seems to run pretty good for having major surgery. A job well done. I should have known better than to watch the video with no real seat time here since the middle of November when I put the snow blower on and parked it in the shed. Come on spring!

Very nice. I took my Agco Allis 918H for it's first spin yesterday. I'm always fearful of the $@#% project tractors I drag home running fine near the basement door, but dying out as far from it as possible with no hope of a restart - looks like you went a long ways from the basement door LOL. Good luck, Bill

I wasn't brave enough to run it around the development though...:D I got the feeling it would be a good worker too. I need to put some more parts back on yet and find a seat, but I think it will get cart duty shortly. Also gonna see if the plow from the T-10 will fit on it.

Great job, and looks like it's working well. And what's that green stuff your driving on?? Another 20 years to enjoys working again I hope.

Congratulations on your success. sm01 I find your story to be encouraging. Even tho you seem to downplay your mechanical abilities, you spent the time, gathered the info, used the help, and got it done. That's a great example for others, like me, to follow. And also it illustrates the power of this site to help us to boldly go where others have gone before; and so there's no sense of being alone out there, with no alternatives. It seems with a little courage and willingness to experience the process, we can do anything; and even mistakes are just an indirect route to tweaking, adjustment, and success. Overall this is a bright light that's hard to ignore - and in that way I am encouraged. Thanks for sharing your experience. Also noticed you driving on what looks like green grass and no snow. It's been a great winter; but we finally got a real 5" snow here in Southern ON; just as spring arrives, and it's almost daylight saving time. Going ++melting++ today. Cheers. dOd

Thanks for all the kind words. It is a success story. Two years ago, I would not of had the patience (or the time) to attempt anything like this, but I do now. I don't need the tractor. I'm pretty sure I never wanted the tractor to begin with, but it seemed like a great road to travel to calm down, let go of the rat race and have some fun. But what do I do with all those parts leftover? }:)

Don't scrap them. Someone along the way will need some of those parts. If you hav a small space some where tuck them away and maybe you can help someone out some day. By the way it souded a lot quiter than my T-16. Does it still have the original muffler on it? Roger

It is much quieter than the t-10 with the stack on it. It has the muffler that crosses the front and the exhaust vents out of the hole in the grill. I think that is original. Don't know for sure. Was kidding about left over parts..:D

I hooked the cart to it and hauled the old rear end down behind the shed. When I get the urge, I will take off the pump and motor and have a look. If anyone needs parts, please let me know. I would not recommend the vickers or the differential, although both could be fixed. Everything else should be ok, including the BGB, which worked well and quietly. It also has the cleanest shift shaft in Vickers history! :D}:)

The muffler you discribed is the original. I have the same one on mine. I believe mine is blown out though. It is very loud. I did get one on a Simplicity that is nearly the same. I am thinking of changing them out this summer to see if I can quiet it down. I bhave seen a post elsewhere that guys have cut them open and redone the inside to quiet them down.

I think I remember that thread, these guys put some baffles inside. I'd like to get both of them quieter. They are both running now, and my plan is to get them running well, then quieter, then pretty. The T-12 is no longer charging (it was when it wouldn't move(?)) And the hydro drive belt jumps off the bgb pulley when you shut the tractor down. So I'll work on those two things next. But I am going to do a couple of things around the house first, then get back to the tractors.

Bob, My T-10 has that muffler. It is quiet. One of the little extra "goodies" that A/C added to the Homelites. Does the T-12 have the front mtd. electric clutch? Another goodie. If you have room, keep that BGB. They are so expensive to fix and don't take much storage room. My spare has saved me a couple of times. Just my 2 cents, so value accordingly. Jim

Jim, No electric clutch, but evidently there used to be. There is a switch on the dash for front pto. There is a mule drive hanging underneath the front end. I'm going to take that off and see if the plow that came with the T-10 will fit on the T-12. If it does, I'll need some tire chains, and then I'd be good for plowing with the T-12 and blowing with the T-10. Course this winter I coulda cut the grass, and neither of them do that! I put the whole rear end on a pallet and tarped it down behind the shed. Heavy bugger, and that T-12 tractor is a horse.

Too bad about the missing clutch. The mule drive is not very useful without it. The T-12 should do a great job with the plow. I used my HB-112 for a couple of winters. The Vickers backs up faster than a gear drive and it is so nice not using the foot clutch every direction change. I used Ford tractor blue and Wimbleton white when I painted the T-10. The blue is too dark, but it is close enough for our great grand-son. He 4 years old and claims the T-10 as "My Blue Tractor".:) Here we are when he was 1-1/2 giving the Homelite some exercise.

Bob I may, and I say may, have a 48" mower that should fit the T-12. I am going to look at it and will get back to you. Not mine but one taken off a T-16 long ago. I will let you know for sure. Roger