Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Freeing pully from spindle

steveo358

I have soaked, and soaked this thing with some super penetrating oil, and threaded on a longer bolt, held the deck up, while other was hitting bolt with sledge hammer. Cant get it to budge, any help?

Just guessing there's a keyway there so upward force on the pulley and hit shaft with a air hammer . If key is there it could be bottomed out to it's limit so it can't go down anymore even how much you hit it . Untill something breaks or gives and could cost $$. Just my € worth

Hi, We usually pull the bolts from the arbor assy out and remove it from the deck. Then we remove the pulley bolt. We screw in a 7/66" x 3" or so bolt. Running it to the bottom of the threads. we then have one person hold the pulley and another hit the bolt with about a 3 pound hammer. Usually they will come right off. You must use a heavy hammer. If it is one of the higher pulleys off the newer RH discharge decks, we put the bolt in and we use the big end of a Kohler connecting rod, cut off. We clamp it around the lower part of the pulley. Then we can put it in an arbor (or other) press and press the shaft off by putting the press plates under the rod, so it is against the flat part of the pulley, near the weld at the hub. Then press on the bolt. If it doesn't come fairly easy, hit the top of the arbor press with a 5 lb hammer. Most we just have one person hold the pulley and the other hit the bolt than extends out and they will usually come out. Al Eden

I'm a torch guy...If pen.oil and a little force doesn't do it then I use ALOT of heat and alot of persuasion. Has always worked for me (except one pulley got destroyed by a puller long ago)XX( Good luck

It's over a year ago, I forget the details - but when it finally came apart, I discovered I had overlooked what I had learned on another spindle. Thinking it was just stuck, I had tried to force it w a hammer, and eventually I saw that I was hammering through the spines - they were all ruined, distorted, twisted. The use of hammer is necessary - but the real thing is understand, before hammering, how the parts fit together. Unfortunately, the wisdom of hindsight is often 20/20. It's almost impossible to describe this in words. It's hard enough to be looking at it and figure out the amazing simplicity (yeh, pun) of this patented design. And even then, when you put it all into action, it's still not so easy to keep track. You need to exactly figure out how to hold, support (Al's conn rod), and hammer. But if you are repeatedly bashing, you are doing it wrong - firm tapping with a heavy hammer should do it - maybe strong tapping - anything other than bashing it into useless scrap metal. The good news - when you realize the mistake, you understand the spindle system, and can advise others. Welcome to my world. I got lucky and bought another working deck w a parts tractor. I still keep the messy parts that I ruined, cos some of them might be handy for another deck. It's not about "hammer". It is about understanding before hammering; and they only come apart one way. The perfect tool does not exist. I used a stack(s) of various sized flat steel pieces (mimic conn rod), and held those in, around, under, and over a vice. Supporting the right part while hammering the right part is the thing. If someone invented the right tool = priceless; but so far all we have is reverse engineering. (translation = look at it again) 8) Try search for other threads on this - there are some good ones.

HI, On the splined shafts, we usually hold the pulley with a rag wrapped around the outer edge of the pulley by hand and then hit the long bolt we have installed. Will post pic of the rod /press method. This week I have 3 days of computer school, a meeting in Cedar Rapids Thursday at 1 and Friday Honda School at 8:30-4 about 150 miles away. Friday night when I get home I have to haul a bunch of equipment to a lawn and garden show and get it all set up for the show Saturday, so gathering the stuff up for pics this week is out. Al

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=117904 This link is to the best thread I have seen on deck spindle rebuilds. It has a lot of pix that might help you. The actual deck and spindles might be different, but the design is pretty common. There is also a link to the original thread that lead to this. It's not perfect, but comes pretty close. There is generally a lack of clear information - this thread fills in a lot of blanks, and hopefully answers a few questions, and provides some understanding. It's still not clear exactly what you are working on; but I hope this is relevant and helpful. I also encourage you to share your experience because it might help others.