Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
nittanylyn

removing seal from Model W walking tractor

nittanylyn
Looking for guidance on how to replace the axle seal on the Model W walking tractor. I believe this transmission is used on other brands of older Simplicity tractors as well. Can I do this without taking the transmission apart? I can get the seals from Jack's Small Engine so that won't be a problem. Thanks for any help... Greg

steve-wis
I pull out the old seal by drilling two or three small holes in the old seal face and screwing in sheet metal screws to pull on. Clean everything good after removing and check the shaft. It needs to be clean and no groove in it. Sometimes if it is grooved, it might be possible to install new seal either a bit farther in or out to avoid the worn part of shaft. If not, there are very thin stainless steel sleeves that you can buy to press over the shaft. The bigger diameter won't hurt the seal. Then carefully press in the new seal. Sometimes a large socket or a pc. of pipe can be used. Don't deform the seal and don't get it in crooked. I usually put a light coat of permatex around the seal before installing, others don't do this. I feel better with it on. Good luck, hope this helps you some! Oh, almost forgot, welcome to the club!!! Steve

nittanylyn
Thanks to those that responded to my question on removing the seal. Thanks to Steve for the detailed directions. I will let you know how it goes. I do plan on posting pictures of what I have. Bob and Wayne - or any one else, have you ever been to either show in Twin Bridges, Pa (right outside Chambersburg) or Blain, Pa? I do plan on going this year