Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B12 w/ Snow Thrower

70schopper

Just got done replacing my belt on my single belt thrower and thought i would snap a pic. I was wondering does anyone else have a problem of belt replacement at least once a year. It just seems to get too loose too quick. I have tried the belt tension spring but it doesn't seem to matter. I think it is pobably due to my puchase of lowe end belts instead of simplicity. I have been purchasing them because i seem to shread one or two a year due to heavy snow or improper adjustment of guard. Thanks Chopper

I don't have a problem with belts...I burnt one last year pretty bad, but it was still functional. It was after the big blizzard, and 2+ hours of non-stop blowing in 40+" drifts you could stand on. I was pretty impressed. That probably totaled my lifetime blower hours in just one afternoon. 8D I still have the belt on there, but it's a bit sloppy now. I inherited it in 1997 when my Grandfather left me his B110. No idea how old it actually is, but the Simplicity name was visible prior to last year. I LOVE your B-12...what a stud those old 12's are. ^

I am kind of leaning towards purchasing a simplicity belt next. Just hard to swallow $40 belt and then shred it. I have however been replacing the belts the last 3 years and i'm getting pretty good at it so now might be the time. Thanks

Jim, I am far from an expert but I have blown snow with a 7012h, 7118, and a legacy for many years. I have never replaced a belt. Well the Legacy doesn't count, it is a shaft drive. I have read here repeatedly that a Simplicity belt will last a lot longer than the cheaper belts. The simplicity belts are designed to run on the back side while the cheaper belts are not. Give the simplicity belt a try, I think you will be impressed. Remember the cheaper belts are not cheaper if you need to replace them more frequently than a simplicity belt. Rick........

Rick, I never thought of it that way. It makes sense about running on the back side. I could not agree more. Thank you! Does anyone know the part number of the belt i'm speaking of.

Make sure your pullies are tracking true,you can adjust the pully under the thrower if needed. I use Kavlar belts, I get them at tractor supply for around 11 bucks . If your shredding belts I would bet it not lined up square. Good Luck

Good thing they run on the back. sm00 I've seen one run on the back because there was nothing left of the rest of it - and it still worked fine. sm00 The Simp belts are tough. Check for nasties on pulleys. There's some other kevlar brands that might work, might be cheaper. I don't know what you are using now, but the cheap rubber automotive stuff won't last. I get years from a Simp belt.

What I was trying to state when I said the simplicity belts run on their backside I did not mean the belt can be turned inside out, but instead the belt makes a 90 degree turn where the pulley to guide the belt runs on the back side of the belt. Usually these pulleys are flat. Picture an S and how the pulleys would run on a belt to make the belt follow the letter S. For some of the bends, the pulley must be located on the back side of the belt. This is one of those things that a picture is better than trying to describe it. Rick.........

Belt guides and stops are a MUST. Other than that, I've used a CarQuest belt sucessfully for at least 2 seasons.