Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

NOS ARK 515 Loader

adamf203

I recently purchased a NOS ARK 515 loader from the family of a dealer - its currently listed on the classifieds. The loader came with the original manuals, and it says that it was built for the 300 Series tractors. Does anyone know if its can fit other tractors without significant modifications? Does anyone have one and can provide a photo of the loader on a tractor? If anyone is interested in photos or interested in buying, please PM me.

Any indication of bucket size? or overall weight? or other specs? Apparently ARK built a loader for PowerMax - I think w a 42" wide bucket. I'm kinda curious - actually very curious - about 300-series being able to receive a seemingly large loader, and meanwhile, as far as I have heard (so far), it's not possible for 700=series to receive a loader. I wonder how 300 is stronger frontend (or what?) than a 700 - I have been told the 700 would require redesign, or reinforce, etc.???? I find it hard to get info on any of this really - sorry don't mean to hijack your question with my personal interests. But I have been wanting the impossible for a long time. Found another "mystery" link on a used ?similar? unit ARK 515. ?? http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=104236 This thread also links to an ARK 600 installed on a powermax 620. Does your NOS have the subframe running front to back under the tractor like the powermax model? Note also that lateral reinforce might be an issue.(?) It's strange that loaders are interesting to many people. But also interesting that some seem to just disappear - or wha' happened? I think safety issues might be in play. All I want is a small bucket; but the ideal would be an FEL with a baby bucket, so large, heavy loads would not be possible, on a tractor not made for the application. (safety). Threads on the topic seem to end prematurely; perhaps better to say nothing. Other loader specialty sites suggest re-engineer tractors for the purpose.

Based on the part numbers per the boxes, included is the weight box - part #2024708 which weighs 38lbs, a 40" Material Bucket - part #2024702, and the loader and frame - part # 2024700. The loader weighs approximately 350lbs. The sub frame runs the length of the tractor, with the rear weight - ballast box - attaching to the rear of the underframe. I have seen photos of the loader on 300 Series tractors, 400 Series tractors and a 712. It seems like it can be adjusted/modified accordingly to fit many tractors. It appears that ARK made a 512 loader which was meant for the B-112, 210 and 212. Not sure what the difference was as it is within the same grouping of part numbers, and they utilize the same attachements (tine fork, pallet fork, dozer blade, bucket).

They're fairly uncommon. I've never seen an ARK for a B-Series. The 300 and 400 are quite different from the 700 series so I would hesitate to say it would be a direct fit for anything but a 300/400 tractor.

I know guys with various brands of machine can take about any loader they find, and fabricate a subframe with the proper mount points to adapt the loader to their application. I've seen mention on the net of the ARK 515 in Cub discussions...perhpaps there's an audience for it there as well, despite this being a direct Allis fit. Perhaps the Pmax/ARK guys would have input on the build and operation of those products. Looking at the loader, it appears to narrow to straddle a Pmax tractor, but I bet the design is very similar. 350# is also the weight of the L12 loaders, so it seems about right for the large frame machines. Sure is a sweet find!

I can't comment on all the unknowns but the front end/axle components on the 300/400 series tractors are very much different from the B-series and the sister large frame tractors. Much heavier built and stronger pivot bearings and such. That said the main frame and BGB ares are similar and contain most of the weak points for a loader operation.

Does this link help clairify what an ARK 515 loader is? [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/515_loader/front_loader_515.htm[/url] John U

John, that's not the ARK 515, but the Simplicity 515, which was made by Henry Loader. Same thing as the L12/L112. I don't think they share any similarities.

quote:
Originally posted by acfarmer
Does the ARK Loader have cylinders on the bucket or is it a trip dump?
Two cylinder loader. Cyclinder to raise and lower arms, and one to roll the bucket to dump - no trip.

Next question would be -- does it have double-action cylinders, or single. On the Henry-built loaders (L-10/L-12/Simplicity 515, etc.) the lift arms were NOT double-action, only the bucket dump cylinder. Consequently there was no downpressure on the lift arms (or bucket). This may have been done on purpose to prevent stressing the subframe and tractor frame. They work well for scooping up and hauling loose material, but they don't dig worth beans since you can't "force" the cutting edge of the bucket into packed soil using the weight of the frontend of the tractor...

Ken, My money would be on your theory of frame stress. I'm not so sure the GT's would handle much digging, if armed to do so. Mine picks up and carries things great, but I dunno how long she'd hang together with actual digging/excavating. I am curious....how quickly, and with how much force does the bucket and arms drop on an L-12? My L-10 does so, so slowly that it is tough to re-lock the bucket in place. I really have to get my oil warm to operate it efficiently.

My L112/515 comes down fast enough that I would not want to be it's travel path and most certainly don't want any of fingers or toes where the bucket is landing! With my bucket curled downward I can do a fair amount of digging and can most certainly stand it on the rear wheels without much effort. I use mine for a lot of different things, don't know how I would do it all without it! While I know I could sell it for more than I paid for it, it would not be possible to replace it for that price!:D

You can certainly dig with a Henry-built loader, such as the Simplicity 515, but not nearly as well/easily as with one that has double acting cylinders. I dug out some of the old pics I'd posted long ago, digging out foundation rocks from the woodlot behind my house. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Kent/rocks_1.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Kent/rocks_2.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Kent/rocks_3.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Kent/rocks_4.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Kent/rocks_5.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Kent/rocks_6.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Kent/rocks_7.jpg[/img] But, it is certainly much more difficult. You must essentially tilt the bucket, and then "drive up on it", balancing forward movement against the angle of tilt, to get the cutting edge where you want it. It's much simpler with real downforce on the loader arms... Bottom line is that if you're really going to dig hard-pack with either type loader, you really should consider adding a toothbar to the bucket...

Very cool Ken, thanks! I would love to upgrade to the L-12 variety, or even a later model Kwikway or the like, for better efficiency. I'm still in love the the L-10, becuase he bets the heck out of the shovel that used to blister my hands B) If I coud solve my gravity driven re-latch issue on teh L-10, I'd be a pretty happy camper.

quote:
Originally posted by midnightpumpkin
Does this link help clairify what an ARK 515 loader is? [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/515_loader/front_loader_515.htm[/url] John U
Thanks for link. Amazing how much info is available on the simp trax site - and I have spent time looking through it; but still discovering more more... Taking SIMPLICITY's Part# "515" and doing Manual Search as MFR# "990515" = generates THIS = Front End Loaders - Model # 990515 Model # COMBINED OPS/IPL - FRONT END LOADER Operator's/IPL Manual English THANX sm01 dOd

http://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107747&d=1275926737 I found this pix on some other unreliable site with unreliable info, so I won't link to the unreliable, incomplete thread. But there's the AC515 (L12) loader on an AC712; but I doubt the install is correct. I looked thru the manual, and the original kit for the loader provided several reinforcements on the older B-series tractors. In particular, there is a part that was designed to thread through existing holes in the BGB mounting plates on B-series. I daresay those parts don't fit on later large frames, and that might be the problem - that reinforcement is probably not included in this pix. Also, there's some real funky bracing visible towards front of tractor - details, unknown and not available = hence, "unreliable" info. Add to that, it seems the only lateral support on these loaders comes from the bucket area itself - which I think might limit max load. I am no expert; but would it be possible for the whole thing to collapse or topple sideways esp. in an overload situation???? I really think a lateral cross brace would be helpful; but the missing BGB cross-brace reinforcement (if that's the case) might be the most destructive part of this combo. Like I said, not linking to unreliable, possibly unsafe info. But reading the actual manual has educated me - somewhat. I consider FEL additions to be serious ventures on small tractors. I don't think it's unreasonable to minimize bucket size to something like 30", and/or keep it shallow. Basic safety in all manuals says to carry the load "low"; not "high", which is popular in many pix. Those pix are no-load usually. It would be useful to see pix of an existing proper install complete with the BGB bracing illustrated. The original kit sounds (in the manual) like it was made to fit like a glove.

Graham, the 515 pictured on the 712 is an ARK515 like what Adam has, and is not the same loader as pictured in the manual...not an Sim 515/AC L12. Completely different manufacturer, subrafame, contact to the tractor, etc. The 515 Adam has does not mount through the BGB plates like an L12/112, but instead, back to the rear hitch points, I believe. Adam, any chance you could post pics of the ARK...do you have a manual you could grab a few pics of? ARK515
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/mgodzilla/ac416-loader-up%20sm.JPG[/img]
Sim515/ACL12
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/l-12_spec_small.jpg[/img]

Here is a pic of the Ark on the 712 as mentioned previously.

Looks to be mounted too far forward and the main uprights are tilted forward also? As long as we are looking at loaders. Here is a pic of a Kwik Way(too long delayed project in my garage).

quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen Graham, the 515 pictured on the 712 is an ARK515 like what Adam has, and is not the same loader as pictured in the manual...not an Sim 515/AC L12. Completely different manufacturer, subrafame, contact to the tractor, etc. The 515 Adam has does not mount through the BGB plates like an L12/112, but instead, back to the rear hitch points, I believe.
Agree. I knew that. :D I spent way too much time on this, and got the basics wrong when posting (fatigue). Oops. Sorry. :I More info on ARK would be great. Part of my struggle is understanding the engineering and mounting. That seems to be critical info that's not readily visible; and can be a serious limiting factor. It amazes me that the 60's tractors had loaders; but the 70's didn't - except larger ones perhaps (sunstar). I still don't see what a AC 300-series had that made it eligible - unless the trick was included in the "kit reinforcements" like the L12. I must say, this thread is causing me to look again at the AC300-400 tractors. That, and also the 700's - did I buy the wrong tractor? That's exciting.!! Loader or bucket was always on my agenda. (research continues). @Mack Nice Kwik Way project. KW's have a way of looking right, and smaller ones look light weight, proportional, for smaller tractors. Just my impression; but that's a recurring and attractive impression.