Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

leeave96

Kohler CH18 Crank Seal Leaking

leeave96
I've got this Agco Allis 918H (aka: Sovereign) with a Kohler CH18 engine on it. When I was using it today, I noticed it was dripping oil from the front crank seal. When I bought the tractor a few weeks ago, the old valve covers were drilled out and vented with a hose. I thought when I saw that - that the crankcase breather was clogged, however, it appeared to be venting OK when I checked it a few days ago. I need to have another look see. Anyone had one of these Kohler CH18 engines with a leaky front crank seal? How difficult is it to replace this seal? I'll start a new thread on this problem to get a little more focus on it. Thanks! Bill

DanD
The engine crankcase should be vented through the breather because its purpose is to actually maintain a slight vacuum in the crankcase to help prevent leaks. Should be a minimum of 4-10 inches of water vacuum measured with a water manometer or vacuum gauge when the engine is running. Of course the seal may need to be replaced, too...but there should not be an open connection between the crankcase and the outside.