Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Sundstrand charge pump housing

SmilinSam
As I understand it, the charge pump housing just unbolts with the two bolts and slides off the shaft, and an o ring is all there is for a seal. I need to take it off to put fittings on the pump for hydraulic lift. Do I need to install a new o-ring?.. or will the original be Ok to re-use? And... what do I torque the bolts to when I re-install? Anything else I need to know when performing this operation? Starting in on the home stretch on the HB-110 project. Hav'nt worked on it much since Christmas.

DanD
Here are instructions I copied straight from the Sundstrand repair manual. Sorry, but the pictures wouldn't copy and paste. The important points are that the o-ring should be ok unless damaged, and the torque for the bolts is 50-55 ft. lbs. DISASSEMBLY, REPAIR AND REASSEMBLY General Clean the hydrostatic unit before disassembly. REMEMBER: CLEANLINESS IS THE PRIMARY MEANS OF INSURING SATISFACTORY TRANSMISSION LIFE. NOTE: Do not use paint thinner, acetone, or acetone based solvents. These may damage O-rings. gaskets, or seals. The U type hydrostatic transmission consists of two main sections, the housing section and the end section. See Figure 12. Sundstrand Series 15 Hydrostatic Transmission Removal and Installation NOTE: Figure 12 shows a plastic plug in the housing section. This is the way a new U type hydrostatic transmission is shipped. This plastic plug MUST be replaced by O-ring, part no. 1651704. and plug, part no. 161705. before unit is installed. Charge Pump The charge pump with housing must be removed before you start the complete disassembly. Note the orientation of the charge pump housing to end section and either scribe a line or make punch marks to insure proper relocation. See Figure 12. Clean the shaft extension to remove all sharp edges, burrs and abrasive residue to prevent shaft seal damage. 13 Remove two hex head screws (5, Figure 13) and slide the housing assembly, (3, 4, 6, and 7, Figure 13) over the shaft. Remove drive pin (1, Figure 13), and charge pump (2, Figure 13), from shaft. Only if replacement is necessary, remove shaft seal and bearing (4 and 3, Figure 13) from housing. Examine the wear surfaces of pump cartridge for excessive scratching or heavy wear patterns. Replace both parts of this cartridge, if necessary. Do not replace or interchange individual parts within the cartridge. The drive pin should always be replaced. Visually inspect bearing (3, Figure 13), O-ring (7, Figure 13), and shaft seal (4, Figure 13) and replace as required. Torque screws 50-55 ft/lbs.

D-17_Dave
Sam, after cleaning the o-ring surfaces, apply a light coating of silicone lubricant to the o-ring so it can float around and seat into place. Used one should be fine unless it sticks hard to the housing and cover and tears/pulls hard when removed. Also the pump head controls the rotation due to the way it's ported so scribe a mark on it so it goes back on the way it came off. Snug the bolts up lightly together so the pump head doesn't warp. Say 20 to start with then 40 then 55.

HubbardRA
Sam, I don't understand why you need to remove the pump to install the fittings. They come out the left side of the tractor, and use o-ring seals. They usually come out really easily. A box end wrench can be used to take the plugs out and they can be reinstalled with an open end or flare wrench. I don't remember anything being in the way to installing these fittings when I put the hydrolift on my AC 716H. I used the 90 degree swivel fittings that were made on the end of a short set of hoses that I had. Here is a picture of mine with the hoses installed. I used hoses since I did not have the original hard tubing lines. You must be using hard fittings that hit when you try to screw them in. Much easier to use fittings with swivels made into them so you don't have to remove those parts just to install the fittings. I would spend the extra bucks for swivel 90s to eliminate the problem, rather than pulling the pump off.

D-17_Dave
I think what you mean Sam is yours is the more commonJIC 90 fittings like I used since that's what I had on the shelf. Rod used straight fittings and a swivel nut 90 to do the same thing. Both will work, just depends on where the swivel or angle is pointed. That said you can use straight fittings and swivel 90's to avoid removing the charge pump. That will work well but it will add one extra fitting to keep tight. I learned a long time ago that the fewer connections you have the less chance you have for leaks. I would not fear either way but I would clamp the lines once connected to remove any load from the connections. That will help insure not working loose and a leak. I'm sure you know this but for someone else reading it bares repeating.

HubbardRA
Sam, I have never has a Sunstrand with a factory hydrolift. I do not know what Simplicity used from the factory. I was just explaining what I used when I added the hydrolift to my AC 716H. I spent quite a bit of time learning the different types of fittings and what the size numbers meant. Also as is shown in the picture, I did not use any tubing, it is plumbed with hoses all the way. A little tight fitting them underneath around the driveshaft, but it worked.

SmilinSam
I have straight fittings and swivel 90 fittings, but the combination puts the fittings too far out. If I use a tiller the belt would rub the fittings. I went through the operation tonight when I got home from work and got my screw in 90's put in. I have a couple of hard lines left from the Deere project that I think will be the right length to bend, so I will try that. Otherwise I have a place to get hoses. Will have to wait till this is done and the tractor wired to see if the charge pump has any leaks. It wasnt a really great tranny to begin with, so it may not work at all anyhowsm00

PhanDad
Sam, I see you posted you already installed the fixed 90 deg fittings while I was originally writing this. But for others who might read this - There are two types of 90 deg fittings that Simplicity used at the charge pump - the older type would require removal of the charge pump to install them as Sam stated. The newer style does not and can be seen on my 75th tractor in this pic:

The part number for this new style fitting is 1675789; they're not cheap, about $21 from Simplicity, but there's no risk in messing up the charge pump.