Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

dlkelley713

Can of worms...

dlkelley713
I was reading the post about the Craftsman CTX / Simplicity line at Sears. RayS posted about his 10 year old (or older) Prestige cutting grass better than his Sovereigns and accepting the same implements (with perhaps some hitch tweaking). It got me thinking about my own future. I love my Sovereign (my only tractor), but I bought it mainly for rebuild my 2/3 acre yard (tilling / grading/ moving material/ etc.) Once my project is over after this Summer, I may think about picking up something else that's mainly for mowing. I like the Sovereign's cut, but it's not the best for frequent or tight turns... I don't really want to give up my implements, and ideally I'd like to have only 1 machine (not a lot of storage space). For the "can of worms"... If you could only have 1 tractor for a 2/3 acre fairly hilly lot, 95% of the time for mowing (especially for my 100 lb wife), what would you be on the lookout for? Money IS a consideration, so it would be something used... Dan

RayS
Simplicity sells the correct hitches to adapt the 36" tiller and 42" snow blowers to the Prestige. SmilinSam has an archived post in talking tractors that he had done this on his Conquest or Massey. The Prestige deck is shallower deck but I feel has better lift than the older decks. Been using it for 10 or 11 seansons now with no complaints. I will always keep a 900 series around because I will not spend the money for the needed hitches.

dlkelley713
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
Simplicity sells the correct hitches to adapt the 36" tiller and 42" snow blowers to the Prestige. SmilinSam has an archived post in talking tractors that he had done this on his Conquest or Massey. The Prestige deck is shallower deck but I feel has better lift than the older decks. Been using it for 10 or 11 seansons now with no complaints. I will always keep a 900 series around because I will not spend the money for the needed hitches.
Good info, Ray. How's the steering and radius on the Prestige?

gwiseman
Dan I have a early Conquest w/Briggs 16hp for about 2/3 acre w/44" deck and power blower/twin bagger. I would recommend a good used one. Sam says theyve beefed up the front end in later versions so that may be a key point to look at.

Brettw
I know the mid 90's Broadmoors have a very tight turning radius, are a bit smaller than a large frame, and came with up to a 44" free floating deck. I believe they cut excellent also. They do have a hand controlled hydro vs foot controlled. They can purchased fairly reasonably, but it all depends upon your needs and the 100# significant other.8D

SmilinSam
Broadmoors a good choice if its a tuff torq tranny version. The Landlord DLX types are decent turning radiuus too, and a fraction of the cost of a new tractor. My wifes Massey Conquest is a 03 or 04 and the front end is about totally shot after 1000 hours. They make a $300 repair/upgrade kit for thatXX( If you want a later model mowing machine the regents are not too bad, and usually decently priced used. I think they were offered with up to a 50" deck.

tripleguy
My cutter is a Simplicity 5216H spinning a 48" deck. Much more nimble than a Sovereign with a nice floating deck. Dare I say it cuts better than the high Sovie deck. Hand hydro though but easy enough to get the hang of. I think these preceeded the Broadmore.

leeave96
I would avoid any tractor with the K46 tranny. I had a friend that had one and my Dad has a Husky (bought new) with same tranny and they both failed. From what I read, I think they have a not so good reliability record. BTW, I sent you a PM. Good luck, Bill