Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydrostatic oil

littlemarv

Last summer I asked a Simplicity dealer what is special about "Simplicity Multipurpose Hydraulic/ Transmission Oil" and he said "Nothing. Use 10w-30 oil." What do you guys think?

what are you putting it in? The sundstrand use dexron, type f and the simplicity oil you mentioned. The K71 tufftorq in my prestige uses 10w-30. Vickers uses dexron.

Here would be an excellent replacement for the Simplicity Multipurpose oil. [url][/url]http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ath.aspx Personally, I use this whenever a tractor has had the multipurpose oil in it. If it's an older unit and has had ATF in the hydrostatic, I usually just continue to use the ATF. Both ATF or the multipurpose oils are recommended for use in the Sundstrand units.

Case/IH Hytran Ultra is a great affordable oil. It can lubricate a ring and pinion gear with a thousand or more footpounds of torque on it and still flows like hydraulic oil. It also handles water very well to eliminate corrosion . They also sell it with SSL designation on label that is a synthetic version. The synthetic is very expensive. I use the standard mineral version in my bevel gear box and in the trans axle for over ten years .

I use the Simplicity brand hydraulic oil in my Deutz Allis 912H or the AGCO Power Fluid 821. I don't think I would use 10W-30 in a Sundstrand.

• 1 month later...
I am told by my local dealer that they are no longer able to obtain Simplicity Multi-purpose Hydraulic Transmission Oil. They tell me that they now use Hyken 052 in hydros. Anybody else hear this?

The military version of Dexron is 10W-30 as it holds the heat better. You have a choice. I would stay away from the newer blend of Dexron as it is not backwards compatible with some products.

Using 10w-30 engine oil is a bad idea. Using a good ATF is a much better idea. A "hytran" oil is best. There will be different additives including ones that keep your piston pump and motor from scoring and wearing in the hytran oils. Edit: It looks like I may have posted some misinformation. Yesterday was rainy, and I finally got around to changing the filter and oil for the hydrostat on my Scag. Checking the manual, it said to use 10w-30 engine oil. The unit is from the early 90's and has 2500+ hours on it. I've had it for the last 1700 hours and had never changed the filter or oil. While ATF and a "hytran" fluid will have more appropriate additives in them for a hydrostat, I figured if 10w-30 engine oil has been good enough this long, I wouldn't make a trip to the store for some "hytran." I had some Mobil 1 5w-40 and used that instead. If it lasts under 1700 hrs., someone else will be running it.