Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
fpappal

725 Axle question with PIC

fpappal
Hi, So i finally got the transmission back together, hopefully correctly, and now I have an axle question. How much play should there be between the axle and the axle tube assembly? If I grab the axle I can feel some slop, maybe 1/16th of an inch, or a little less. At the end of the axle tube assembly there is a bushing, should it be replaced? I don't think oil could leak out of this gap because the axle tube goes all the way through the transmission, but maybe I am wrong. If the bushing should be replaced what is the best way to remove it? Is there a special tool? It would need to be pulled out unlike the ones inside the transmission which were knocked out. Thanks for any help,

rfsmith1952
If you are talking side-to-side movement, when it's all back together with the axle collars on both ends, the side to side movement will diminish. If you are talking a vertical slop, I don't know.

1Litre
Sounds like they are getting worn out. I think you could drive them out when you remove the solid axle .Use a long drift punch or steel rod.Be careful not to gouge the inside of the axle tube . Some tool companies have pullers with internal jaws that you may be able to pull them out.